Chapter 25: Becca's Special Point of View

I pursued Freen's elusive figure, but she vanished without a trace. Where had she gone? She was here moments ago.

"Lady Becca, what brings you outside?" inquired a servant, eyeing my attire with concern. "The chill is setting in, and you're not properly dressed. Allow me to prepare your bath."

Reluctantly, I acquiesced and retreated to my chamber, unable to refuse the servant's offer. After a quick bath, I donned a comfortable sleepwear provided by the servant, preparing to rest for the night. Yet before she departed, I halted her with a question.

"Have you seen the Imperial Princess?" I inquired.

"I encountered her prior to coming here. The crown prince escorted her somewhere, likely guiding her to her chamber. Princess Sarocha has a history of sleepwalking," the servant explained.

"Could you divulge the location of her chamber?" I pressed further.

"It lies some distance from here, Lady Becca. I fear I cannot disclose its exact whereabouts," the servant replied, lowering her gaze.

"Simply tell me where it is. I must speak with her," I pleaded.

"The crown prince charged me with your safety. Disobeying him would incur grave consequences," the servant trembled, her fear palpable.

"Then whom would you rather face, the crown prince or me?" I snapped, my patience wearing thin. "I can explain to him, and he will pardon you. But if you withhold the information, I'll concoct a tale that ensures your demise. Choose wisely."

Trembling, the servant relented. "The Imperial Princess's chamber is near the crown prince's. The palace adjacent to his belongs to the princess."

Satisfied with her compliance, I instructed her to feign mistreatment to safeguard herself from repercussions. With determination, I set off for Freen's palace, shrouded in darkness yet illuminated by the glow of lights emanating from within. Perhaps she remained awake, awaiting my arrival.

"Freen," I called softly through her window. "Open the window." Three gentle knocks followed as I sought entry, catching sight of her amidst the dim candlelight.

"What folly drives you to this recklessness?" she scolded upon my entrance, her eyes betraying traces of recent tears. Ignoring her chastisement, I pressed on.

My heart raced as I stood within Freen's chamber, the flickering candlelight casting shadows across the room. Despite her protestations, I sensed an undeniable connection drawing us closer.

"Let us flee," I implored.

Freen's brow furrowed in disbelief. "You risk your safety needlessly. Return to your chamber."

"But I belong to you," I insisted, yearning for her touch. "May I not stay with you?"

"You are betrothed to the future emperor, Becca. You do not belong here," she countered, taking a seat as she faced me.

"But my heart has always been yours," I confessed, leaning in closer, seeking solace in her embrace. Did she not miss me, crave my presence as I did hers?

"I sacrificed much for your safety, Becca. To grant you a life of peace and security," Freen murmured, her gaze distant. "Yet our paths diverge, and I must depart. You should do the same before anyone notices your absence."

Gently, I lifted her chin, meeting her gaze. Sadness lingered in her eyes, a mirror to my own anguish. She did not desire this fate, this separation from me.

"What purpose have I in life if not to be with you?" I questioned, closing the distance between us, our lips meeting in a tender kiss.

As our lips parted, tears traced paths down my cheeks. Freen's eyes mirrored my own sorrow, yet I sensed her reluctance to sever our bond.

"Becca," she whispered, her voice trembling. "The crown prince is aware."

"Aware of what?" I asked, my lips trailing kisses along her neck.

"He... He asked me to leave the kingdom, never to return," Freen revealed, her breath catching as I left a mark upon her skin.

I paused, stunned by her revelation. "Then let us depart together."

"No," she protested, shaking her head. "We risk our lives. I cannot bear that outcome."

"Are you surrendering me to your brother?" I demanded, my brow furrowing in confusion.

"Never," Freen vowed, her eyes meeting mine. "But our love cannot be. It is forbidden, a sin in the eyes of society."

"Then let me be sinful forever," I declared, gently urging her to lie down as I continued to shower her with kisses. "If forsaking rulership means I cannot have you, Freen, then I renounce my title."

In that moment, as our passions ignited, all doubts and fears melted away. The intensity of our love eclipsed the world outside, consuming us in its fiery embrace. But even as we embraced, reality lingered on the periphery, a harsh reminder of the challenges we faced.

"Leave, Becca." She whispered.

But as our lips reluctantly parted, reality came crashing back with a painful intensity. Tears welled up in my eyes as I looked into Freen's gaze, knowing that our love was a forbidden flame destined to burn out in the darkness of history.

With a heavy heart, I turned away, silently cursing the cruel hand of fate that kept us apart. But even as I left her chamber, I carried with me the memory of our passionate kiss, a bittersweet reminder of a love that could never be.