Chapter 15

In contrast to Celestria, Freen and Becca weren't welcomed in Valeria. The people glared at them with fury, especially at the sight of the rogue. Who would be pleased to see a rogue, who had once caused so much chaos in their country, returning to wreak havoc just beyond the border?

An inn took them in, but at a hefty price in silver. With enough coin and Freen's safety as her priority, Becca didn't flinch at the cost.

"I'll go to the kingdom and ask for help," Becca told the servants. "Can you stay and look after Freen?" she asked.

The two servants nodded, but Freen grabbed Becca's hand, shaking her head as a sign that she didn't want Becca to leave.

"It's dangerous everywhere, Lady Becca," Freen sighed, still holding onto Becca's hand and wincing from the arrow lodged in her side.

Becca couldn't remove it herself, not being a physician, and she feared it might harm Freen further.

"I'm fine, Freen. No one can harm me here," Becca reassured, kissing Freen's forehead before turning to the servants.

Becca understood that chaos was unheard of in Valeria. It was the most peaceful kingdom, and anyone who disturbed that peace risked severe consequences. Yet, in Freen's case, they couldn't harm her; she was merely doing what was right. Even the king couldn't punish her, a fact that puzzled Becca.

Who was Freen, and why was everyone so afraid of her? Despite being a rogue, she was clearly of noble birth. Yet, in Becca's mind, Freen seemed more than just a noblewoman; she exuded power, possibly even royal lineage. Becca couldn't pinpoint her exact origins, but she was certain Freen was more than met the eye.

Upon reaching the kingdom, Becca sought an audience with the crown prince, Nut, whom she had known since childhood. She hoped their past friendship might sway him.

"Prince Nut," Becca said, kneeling before him. "We need your help."

"I've heard what happened," he replied, taking a sip of tea. Nut motioned for the others to leave before addressing Becca. "But I'm afraid I can't assist you."

Becca furrowed her brows. How could a prince with so much power refuse to help find a physician for Freen?

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"Valeria's resources lie mainly in metals; herbs and medicinal materials are scarce," Nut explained, avoiding Becca's gaze. "If you wish to save the rogue's life, you must venture to South Valeria. There resides a physician who can aid you."

"Please, spare me a horse," Becca pleaded, bowing her head.

"Take whatever you need, Becca," Nut said, finally meeting her eyes. "Just ensure no one learns of my assistance. The rogue is reviled by all, and aiding her is forbidden."

"Thank you, sire," Becca replied, bowing again before hurrying out to procure a horse.

Her journey to South Valeria felt daunting, with no signs of medicine shops or helpful residents. Until she stumbled upon a tavern.

"Are you in need of a physician?" a patron asked. "I know of one, but she can be difficult to deal with."

"Take me to her. I need her help urgently," Becca replied, and the patron agreed.

He led her to the nearest cave and instructed her to enter, promising she'd find the physician within. Becca followed his guidance and discovered a woman clad in white, tending to her surroundings with care.

"Are you the physician?" Becca inquired.

The woman looked up, smiling at Becca and inviting her closer.

With torches illuminating the cave, Becca observed herbs, medicines, and an array of jewelry in one corner. Did this woman accept jewelry as payment? Becca had none to offer.

"What can I do for the most renowned knight?" the woman, Irin, asked. "I'm Irin."

"How do you know me?" Becca questioned, knitting her brows.

"You're the famous knight every prince hopes to marry, except those from Celestria, of course. Seraphoria and Celestria have long been enemies," Irin explained casually, continuing her work.

"I need your help. My companion has been injured, struck by an arrow. I need you to assist her," Becca stated urgently.

Irin chuckled softly. "My apologies, but I don't leave my cave unless I choose to."

"What must I do to persuade you to help her?" Becca asked.

"I will aid her if you bring her to me. Becca, even the crown prince seeks my assistance here. You're no exception," Irin replied, smiling as she extinguished the fire, having finished preparing another medicine.

"But she requires immediate first aid; she's losing too much blood," Becca protested.

"Then you must leave now and bring her to me, or she'll perish from blood loss," Irin insisted, gesturing for Becca to depart. "Wait, what is her name?"

"Freen."