Chapter 21

"Where's Freen?" Irin asked upon her return, noticing her absence. She seemed satisfied, likely having eaten while outside. "I didn't see her come out."

"The Prince requested her presence. Perhaps, he really took a liking to Freen." Becca shifted her gaze, peering out the window. "What if the crown prince asked her to marry him?"

"So, you're finally admitting you like her?" Irin teased, giving Becca's waist a playful pinch, prompting a furrowed brow.

"I don't like her, Irin," Becca confessed with a sigh.

"Then what is it?" Irin crossed her arms. "Love? That sounds too mushy, Becca."

"I don't love her either," Becca smiled, meeting Irin's gaze. "It's more than that."

"As much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news, Freen is out of your reach. Besides, you're betrothed. You two can never be together officially," Irin stated, lips pursed. "I'll admit, you two do look cute together, but, Becca, this isn't a fairytale. What happens after this mission? Freen goes back to being a rogue or to her royal origins, and you'll marry the crown prince."

"Royalty?" Becca furrowed her brows. "She's a princess?"

"Didn't she tell you?" Irin asked, taking a seat on the bed's edge. "You don't expect a commoner to have her elegance, wit, and skills, do you?"

"I thought she was just nobility," Becca sighed, contemplating the revelation. "I didn't know she's a princess."

"That's why the two of you can't be together. Someone of her status will undoubtedly marry someone else—likely a man," Irin licked her lips, sighing before standing and patting Becca's shoulder. "The news has already spread, and the King of Seraphoria sought Sylvanaria's help. Guards will be here tomorrow to escort us. We need to be ready."

"But..." Becca wanted to plead with Irin to stay a while longer, to spend more time with Freen. But with Sylvanaria's guards arriving tomorrow, their chances of escape dwindled. Was this truly the end for them? "But we're still looking for the princess, right?"

"The princess you were looking for, is with you all along." Irin sighed. "'ll get another room for myself. Make sure to tell Freen how you feel. Don't waste any more time, Becca," Irin said before leaving, leaving Becca lost in thought.

***

Freen returned with a smile, eager to share her findings about the neighboring countries with Becca. She noticed Becca's intense gaze and felt her heart warm, wondering about their future.

"Seems like you enjoyed your conversation?" Becca asked, taking a seat beside her.

"Are you jealous? I didn't mean it that way," Freen replied, meeting Becca's eyes apologetically.

Becca shook her head. "I know that no matter what, you'll come back to me, Freen." She reached for Freen's hand, pressing a kiss to it. "I understand your feelings for me, and I'm holding onto them."

"Why do you seem so sad?" Freen cupped Becca's cheeks, caressing them gently. "Is something troubling you? I won't go see the prince again, I promise." She kissed Becca's forehead, but Becca shook her head once more.

"Irin found out that Seraphoria asked Sylvanaria for help to rescue us," Becca sighed, looking away. "Tomorrow, we'll be heading to Sylvanaria, and after that, I don't know what will happen."

"Is that what's bothering you?" Freen pulled Becca into a hug, resting her chin on Becca's shoulder. "I told you, I'm yours forever. No matter what happens tomorrow, I'll still be yours and will continue to serve you."

"But you're not just a rogue, Freen. You're..." Becca halted, unable to find the words. "You have a high status. You're..."

Freen smiled, turning Becca's face toward her and placing a gentle kiss on her lips. "I'm willing to give up my title for you, to be your servant."

"But, Freen..." Becca furrowed her brows.

"Even if I fought for us, we wouldn't win. Society dictates that a woman belongs with a man. I'm not a man, so I can't have you forever," Freen said sadly, a small smile on her lips. "But you have a promising future with the future Emperor. He'll take care of you for the rest of your life. I can die for you, but he can live with you. And living is harder than dying. Do you understand?"

Tears welled in Becca's eyes as she shook her head. "You're giving me to him?"

"If only I had the power to take you without hurting anyone, I would. There's no way for us to be together officially. But I can stay by your side," Freen smiled, kissing away Becca's tears. "Tomorrow, everything will change. But I promise you, my feelings won't. Not now, not ever."