Chapter 14

Freen allowed Becca to rest in her room while she paced outside, consumed by worry over the threats Becca had received. The danger was palpable; there were forces determined to end Becca's life, regardless of the cost.

"Freen. Or should I call you—" Heng's words were interrupted as Freen raised her hand.

"Just Freen is sufficient. What do you need?" she asked the prince, her tone brisk.

Heng cleared his throat, inquiring if Becca was asleep, and Freen confirmed before he continued.

"The Celestial received an order from a noble in Eldoria. They're keeping it under wraps due to a signed contract. Did they recognize you?" Heng inquired.

"Yes, but not as a monarch. They knew of my past affiliation with the organization. I've never disclosed my true identity to them," she sighed, her gaze drifting to Becca's door. "I can't reveal the truth to her yet. It would shatter her."

"Do you harbor feelings for her?" he asked, a hint of amusement in his voice. "You're playing a dangerous game, you know?"

Freen understood the precariousness of her situation. Being betrothed to the crown prince elevated Becca's status beyond her reach. She couldn't risk her life by vying for Becca's affections. Her sole concern was protecting her, especially now that her sword was missing.

"Regardless, do you know the whereabouts of Becca's sword?" Freen inquired. "It's a valuable artifact."

"No, and rumors suggest it's missing. Why do you ask?" Heng replied, unaware of its significance.

Freen realizing Heng didn't know anything about it, shook her head. "Tomorrow, we depart for Valeria. I need your assistance," she said earnestly, meeting his gaze. "I can't ensure her safety alone. I request your aid in discreetly providing guards, so if an ambush occurs, we stand a chance."

"I'll arrange it. Please take care, Freen. Your father would be beside himself if you were harmed," Heng remarked, reaching for Freen's hand with a somber expression. "If circumstances were different, I'd propose marriage to safeguard you from such peril. You needn't masquerade as a rogue."

"I've chosen this path, Heng," Freen asserted, withdrawing her hand. "Even if given the opportunity, I'd decline. Another holds my heart, despite her existing commitments."

Heng nodded, a melancholic smile tugging at his lips. From that moment, he understood that even if he could propose, Freen's heart belonged elsewhere.

Entering Becca's room, Freen found her sleeping peacefully. She lay beside her, enveloping her in a protective embrace. Becca stirred, startled by Freen's touch.

"Freen? What's wrong?" Becca inquired, turning to face her, concern etched on her features.

"It's nothing," Freen reassured her, holding her close. "Just weary."

Becca chuckled softly, returning the embrace. Freen felt a sense of solace in her arms, a longing fulfilled, if only for a moment.

"I never realized you could be so vulnerable," Becca mused, squeezing her affectionately.

Freen glanced up at Becca, her heart heavy with unspoken truths. If only she could alter their circumstances, prevent the impending marriage. But the crown prince's influence loomed large, an insurmountable obstacle.

Deciding to surrender to sleep's embrace, Freen drifted off, only to find herself haunted by visions of Becca's radiant smile. It was a bittersweet reminder of what could never be.

***

The air crackled with tension as Freen and Becca ventured toward Valeria's border, their journey fraught with danger. As anticipated, they encountered the ominous presence of the Celestial Assassins, signaling imminent peril.

Under the cloak of night, the ambush struck with ruthless precision. Freen sprang into action, her blade flashing in the dim light as she shielded Becca from harm.

"Stay behind me," she commanded, her voice tinged with urgency, as she assessed the encroaching threat.

Though unarmed, Becca stood steadfast, her resolve unyielding. She longed to assist Freen, but without a weapon, she could only watch as her companion faced the onslaught alone.

The Celestial Assassins descended upon them, their movements swift and deadly. Yet Freen, honed by years of training, met their attacks with calculated precision.

Amidst the chaos, Freen's attention was drawn to a sudden movement. With lightning reflexes, she deflected an incoming arrow, but another found its mark, piercing her side.

Agony flared through Freen as she stumbled, her strength waning. But before despair could take hold, reinforcements arrived, driving back the assailants.

Collapsed on the ground, Freen felt Becca's trembling hands staunching her wound. Through tearful eyes, they exchanged a silent vow.

"I'm fine," Freen assured her, brushing away Becca's tears. "Thank the heavens you're unharmed."

"But you're injured!" Becca exclaimed, her voice wrought with concern. "Let us seek aid within Valeria's borders. They can help."

Freen slowly nodded and smiled. Becca didn't know how delightful she was seeing her worried for her like this. This was enough for her. This was enough to know that Becca also cared for her.