Chapter 18

The cave lay shrouded in darkness, save for the flickering flames of their campfire. Becca moved with practiced care, assisting Freen in her daily tasks. She helped her bathe, tenderly washing away the grime and blood that clung to her skin, then carefully fed her, spoonful by spoonful, as Freen's strength slowly returned.

Despite Freen's efforts to maintain her usual stoicism, Becca sensed the weight of their predicament pressing down upon her. It was a burden they shared, woven into the fabric of their intertwined destinies.

"She's finished eating?" Irin inquired of Becca.

Becca nodded slowly, sighing. They had been here for four days now, and the clock was ticking. Becca had a deadline to fulfill - to retrieve the princess - yet she couldn't simply rush in without a plan. She pondered how to enter Eldoria without arousing suspicion or risking their safety.

"What troubles you?" Irin probed, noticing Becca's distant demeanor. "Would you care to share?"

"Freen and I were on a mission to locate the missing princess of Seraphoria. However, en route, we encountered the Celestial Assassins. Time is slipping away, Irin. I am at a loss on how to protect Freen and infiltrate Eldoria without drawing attention," Becca explained.

"Celestial Assassins? Undoubtedly the mastermind is from Eldoria. On my way to the inn where Freen stayed, I overheard some news," Irin disclosed with a solemn expression. "Let's return to Freen, so I may share it with her as well."

As they settled by the fire, Irin approached with a grave expression etched upon her face. "There's something you both need to know," she began, her voice laden with gravity.

Freen's gaze flickered to Irin, a glimmer of apprehension dancing in her eyes. "What is it?" she asked softly.

Irin took a deep breath, steeling herself before delivering her news. "To locate the mastermind behind these killings, we must journey to East Eldoria," she revealed, her words hanging heavily in the air.

"East Eldoria? The heart of the Empire..." Becca murmured, her mind racing with questions.

"Yes, precisely," Irin affirmed, her expression somber. "And there's more. Kao... Kao is dead. He was killed after divulging the noble's location to the assassins."

The news landed like a heavy blow, the weight of their losses pressing down upon them. Freen's shoulders sagged in grief, a pang of guilt coursing through her at the thought of Kao's sacrifice. "We must go," she declared, her voice tinged with determination.

Becca hesitated, her mind swirling with uncertainty. "But... But we're not prepared," she protested, her voice tinged with apprehension. "We cannot recklessly plunge into this."

Freen turned to Becca, her eyes ablaze with conviction. "We cannot afford to delay," she insisted, her tone resolute. "Every moment we hesitate, more lives are endangered."

Becca chewed on her lower lip, her brow furrowed in thought. "What about our quest to find the princess?" she countered, frustration evident. "If we depart now, we may forsake that mission."

Freen shook her head, her resolve unyielding. "We cannot find her if we are constantly on guard, awaiting the next attack," she explained urgently. "We must confront the threat at its source, so we may focus on locating the princess."

Becca sighed, her shoulders slumping in defeat. She knew Freen was right, though the prospect of journeying into the heart of the Empire filled her with unease. Yet, she trusted Freen with her life, and if this was the path they must tread, she would follow her to the ends of the earth.

"Very well," Becca relented, her voice resigned. "We shall depart... Tomorrow."

As the embers of their fire faded into darkness, the weight of their decision hung heavy in the air. Irin excused herself, leaving the two to converse alone. Becca remained hesitant, wishing she could ensure Freen's safety by leaving her behind.

"What are your thoughts?" Freen inquired.

"Nothing," Becca replied, shaking her head as she crossed her arms. "Are you truly recovered?"

"Yes, it's merely flesh wounds. Irin proved to be an adept physician," Freen said, offering a sad smile as she motioned for Becca to join her.

Becca sat on the edge of the makeshift bed, and Freen embraced her from behind, resting her chin on Becca's shoulder.

"You did not anticipate this turn of events, did you?" Freen whispered softly. "I am sorry for causing you worry."

"Freen, I know you understand my concerns," Becca said, holding onto Freen's hand tightly, trying to hold back her tears. "Irin is correct. I continually put you in harm's way. They do not target me, they target you for protecting me."

"That is my duty, Becca. I pledged to be your sword and shield. I will not leave your side," Freen replied, burying her face in Becca's neck. "Please, do not ask me to depart. I will follow you still."

"But your life is in jeopardy," Becca protested, caressing Freen's hand on her waist. "I cannot sacrifice you to save myself."

"I was born to be a sacrifice, Becca. Do not concern yourself with me. I am willing to die for you," Freen whispered, kissing Becca's neck as tears escaped her.

How could Becca persuade her otherwise? Was there truly no alternative? Even if they were saved now, a day might come when something or someone would part them.

"I will remain with you until all is well. Until you require me," Freen vowed.