Chapter 16

Despite her exhaustion, Becca raced back to the inn on her horse. However, her return journey was interrupted by the reappearance of assassins. Surprisingly, they made no move to use weapons, opting instead to attempt Becca's abduction. Fortunately, Becca's quick thinking allowed her to outmaneuver them within minutes.

Upon her return to the inn, the innkeeper greeted her with fury, demanding more money. Becca refused, knowing the chaos wasn't their fault. However, her concern spiked when the innkeeper mentioned something missing from their room. Hastening to check on Freen, Becca discovered the servants lifeless and Freen vanished. With the sky dimming, panic set in as she frantically searched every corner to no avail. Desperate, she resolved to return to Nut.

"What now?" Nut's voice seethed with anger. "You and that rogue aren't welcome here, so why should I help you?"

"But my companion was abducted in your kingdom!" Becca's voice rose in frustration. She couldn't fathom Nut's indifference. How could a future king disregard the safety of his people and visitors, especially one who had aided Valeria in the past?

"You don't understand how the kingdom works, Becca. All you know is fighting battles. You don't understand what and whom to protect," Nut retorted sharply. Becca couldn't comprehend his callousness. Was this because her father had rejected Nut's proposal for her hand in marriage?

"Was it because my father didn't choose you as my husband when you asked for my hand in marriage?" Becca challenged, bewildered by Nut's hostility.

"I couldn't care less about your rejection, Becca. My priority is the safety of my kingdom. I won't risk it to aid you," Nut spat.

"Then why won't you help me? You know this kingdom inside out. Where did the assassins take Freen?" Becca's frustration mounted. She needed answers to find Freen before her condition worsened.

"I don't know," Nut conceded defeat. "But they were after you, Becca. You possess something they want. I won't interfere. Don't return here."

What did she possess that was so coveted? Becca pondered. She lacked extravagant possessions; her modest home held no treasures worth risking her life for. Angered and perplexed, Becca stormed out of the kingdom.

Encountering the tavern patron again, Becca brushed off his curiosity. Her focus was solely on finding Freen. He suggested she wait in South Valeria until morning, as the borders were closed for the night. Becca realized the assassins' intent: to delay her return to Eldoria.

"Damn those nobles," Becca muttered, resigned to the situation. Returning to the cave, she was about to confide in Irin when she spotted Freen inside.

"Freen!" Becca rushed to her side, relief flooding her.

"You're late, huh?" Irin teased as she tended to Freen's wounds. She stood up for Becca to go near Freen.

"Irin helped me escape just in time," Freen explained. "Are you hurt? Are you okay?" she asked Becca, concern etched in her voice.

Becca shook her head, her worry easing as she gazed at Freen. "I'm just glad you're safe." She embraced Freen gently, mindful of her injuries.

"Enough of that. She needs rest," Irin interjected, guiding Becca away from Freen.

Reluctantly, Becca stepped back, allowing Freen to rest. "I'll be fine," Freen reassured her with a smile before Irin helped her settle onto a makeshift bed.