Chapter 4

As the sun dipped below the horizon, the king summoned Lady Becca and Duke Richard to discuss a potential reward in the event that Becca managed to locate the lost princess within a set timeframe.

"Your kindness is truly appreciated, Your Majesty, but I already have a mansion and isn't asking for more." Becca politely declined the king's generous offer.

In the royal court, it was quite a rarity for anyone to turn down the king's generosity. However, Becca had made a habit of doing so, and remarkably, the king bore no grudge. He understood the unwavering principles that guided her. Becca had always been content with what she had, asking for nothing more.

"We are grateful for your offer, Your Majesty," Richard added, bowing slightly. "But Lady Rebecca remains resolute in her principles."

"Very well," the king conceded. "However, there is another matter, Duke."

"I am at your service, Your Majesty," Richard replied with deep respect.

"Next year, my daughter will come of age, and it's crucial that we find a suitable match for her," the king began. "I cannot entrust her future to just anyone, and I believe you have the potential to become a fine ruler."

Becca's eyes widened, and she exchanged surprised glances with her brother. They both lowered their heads as Richard struggled to find his words.

"Sire, while the prospect of kingship is an honor, it's not a dream I hold," Richard stammered. "I implore you to reconsider."

"This decision is final, and I require no further opinions on the matter," the king declared, locking eyes with Becca. "Before her coming of age, I expect you to locate her. Failure to do so will result in severe consequences."

Becca nodded solemnly. She had anticipated this moment, knowing that the king's trust in their family hung by a fragile thread. To secure their future, she had to find the princess before the year's end.

***

"You have no choice in this matter, Richard!" Becca exclaimed, her voice filled with urgency.

In their household, Becca had tirelessly upheld the family name, while Richard, aided by her support, had become a respected physician. Despite his higher rank, he allowed Becca to speak her mind.

"I cannot wed someone I do not love, Rebecca!" Richard retorted, his frustration evident. "Remember what Mother told us? To never let anyone dictate matters of the heart?" Richard reminded his sister, his voice trembling with emotion.

"But where is she now? Did following her heart bring her happiness? She's gone, Richard, all because she chose someone who couldn't treat her properly! Father covered her truth out of kindness!" Becca's voice rang out with passion. "Our father did everything for this family, even while managing the kingdom's affairs alone. He cared for us despite his burdens. Now, you're defying the king because you refuse to marry for love?"

"Enough, Rebecca!" Richard shouted, his patience wearing thin. "I understand your perspective, but why does it feel like you're placing the blame solely on me?"

"Consider the marriage to the princess, Richard, and we will find our way," Becca said as she turned to leave, but Richard halted her with a pointed question.

"You hold Father in such high regard, yet why do you not wear the necklace he gifted you?" Richard asked, his tone searching.

Becca looked down at her chest, realizing that the necklace was conspicuously absent. It then dawned on her—the rogue who had coveted her necklace.

Without hesitation, Becca left her brother's residence and hastened to the inn where Freen had been staying.

"Lady Rebecca, what brings you here?" inquired the innkeeper nervously.

Drawing her sword, Becca fixed a stern gaze upon the innkeeper. "Where is Freen?"

"She departed earlier," the innkeeper stammered. "Heading south, she said."

"How can I be certain of your honesty?" Becca inquired, her tone unwavering.

"Freen was never one to deceive. You may venture southward, and you will find her there," the innkeeper assured, retreating in fear.

"If I do not find her there, prepare to face the consequences," Becca warned, sheathing her sword before departing the inn.

Freen, it seemed, was a master of cunning. At this moment, Becca cared not for any mission. Her sole desire was to confront and vanquish her adversary once and for all.