Chapter 2

Becca returned to the king's palace with somber news, her head bowed low. She gently placed Freen's sword down, a clear sign of her surrender.

"I don't need a sword, Rebecca," sighed the king, his disappointment evident. "This is the first time you've left me disheartened."

"I'm here to offer myself in the quest to find the princess. I seek no ally, Your Highness. Please, consider my plea," Becca murmured, still bowing. "I'll bring the princess home."

"Do you believe I seek an ally because I doubt your abilities?" asked the king. "That rogue will be your support if needed. I can't bear the thought of losing you for my daughter."

Becca raised her head, taken aback by the king's words. "Sire, spare me the praise. The princess's life is worth more than mine."

"I've never seen the princess since her birth. She was hidden because of her appearance. The queen didn't want me to see her," the king explained. "I'd rather offer you the throne than to a princess who can't fend for herself."

"Sire, let me find the princess and show you who she truly is," Becca implored. "I can't accept being your heir."

The king smiled, impressed by Becca's resolve. It had been a test, and she had passed.

"Well said," the king applauded. "But your first task is to become Freen's ally. She's known for causing trouble, and I want you to tame her," the king said, fixing his gaze on Becca.

"Understood, Your Majesty," Becca bowed and left the palace, her heart racing at the prospect of taming a rogue.

Becca was skilled in combat, but befriending a wild spirit was not her forte. She'd rather face a beast in battle than try to befriend one.

"Becca..." Non, one of the king's generals and Becca's childhood friend, approached cautiously. "Are you all right? I heard about your encounter with Freen in the market."

"Do I look weak to you?" Becca snapped. "Stop following me, General Non, and don't use my name. I outrank you."

Non lowered his head and nodded. Since her father's death, Becca had become cold and indifferent. She no longer distinguished between friend and acquaintance; anyone who harmed the country would face her wrath.

Becca entered her home, which lacked the usual servants found in noble residences. She called maids only for chores, and they left once their work was done.

"Curse that rogue," Becca hissed, unsheathing her sword to vent her frustration on a nearby painting. "I won't bow to anyone to win her over."

She sighed and sat on a chaise longue, contemplating how to win Freen's loyalty.

"Greetings, Lady Rebecca. May I share what I've learned about the rogue?" a soldier asked.

"Go ahead, but drop the 'Lady'; it annoys me," Becca said with a roll of her eyes.

"The duke—" the soldier started, but Becca's glare silenced him. "Freen's origins remain a mystery. She gained notoriety for taking down corrupt officials in your absence, becoming a champion of the poor and a nemesis to the nobility. She disrupted smugglers' operations, distributing their stolen goods to the less fortunate."

Becca scoffed. "Does the end justify the means? Tell me more. What about her family?"

"Freen's past is shrouded in mystery, and no one dares to investigate further," the soldier answered.

"If I order you to dig deeper, will you accept?" Becca asked, smirking.

The soldier knelt, hands trembling. "Just end me, my lady."

Clearly, Freen's strength struck fear into her subordinates. Becca wondered if Freen was her equal or even stronger.

"Do you know where she is now?" Becca inquired.

"She doesn't have a permanent home but stays in an inn near the princess's palace," he replied.

"Good. Let's first visit the princess's palace and then go to the inn."

If the king wanted Becca to tame this untamed soul, so be it.