Chapter 1

"Freen's here! Quick, hide your goods!" The market traders scrambled to conceal their merchandise as Freen approached their stalls.

This scene unfolded each morning in the bustling market of Seraphoria, a kingdom ruled by the esteemed King Syrus and Queen Sin. The kingdom was famed not just for its rulers but also for its unique inhabitants, including Rebecca, the sole female knight in the entire empire. Rebecca's exceptional skills had attracted the attention of crown princes from neighboring realms, all vying for her hand in marriage, knowing that having her meant possessing a formidable army.

However, Rebecca wasn't interested in these crown princes. She sought a partner who could match her strength, and there was only one person she had in mind—her father. The second most skilled individual was none other than the rogue known as Freen.

Freen was a well-known figure, renowned for her roguish thieving adventures across different kingdoms. She concealed her identity behind a mask and a sedge hat, but her all-black attire and dark horse made her instantly recognizable. While Freen was a proficient swordsman, she reserved her skills for personal matters, never harming the innocent. She always asked for a reason before accepting any job.

Despite numerous attempts to capture her, Freen remained elusive due to her exceptional skills. Eventually, the kings of distant lands abandoned the chase and simply issued warnings about her.

"Ha! Like I'd steal your not-so-fresh produce," Freen scoffed, rolling her eyes as she urged her horse to charge and disrupt the deceitful merchants' stalls.

This was Freen's daily pastime—foiling the schemes of dishonest vendors. When she discovered that the market was swindling its customers, she swooped in to dismantle their stalls without fear of reprisal, thanks to her infamous reputation.

"Stop right there, intruder!" Rebecca commanded, her sword halting Freen's horse in its tracks.

Freen nearly lost her balance from the abrupt halt but managed to steady herself.

"Come with me," Rebecca ordered.

Freen reached for her sword, but Rebecca's swiftness was unmatched; she severed the strap securing Freen's weapon, causing it to clatter to the ground.

Rebecca was indeed faster than Freen had anticipated.

"What do you want?" Freen asked in a chilly tone, her enthusiasm waning.

"I am Rebecca, the renowned knight of this kingdom. I need your immediate cooperation," Rebecca responded, her gaze fixed on Freen's face concealed beneath her hat.

"So, you're the famous warrior?" Freen mused, chuckling. "If you want me, you'll have to catch me."

Before Rebecca could react, Freen tugged at her horse's reins and sped off into the forest, outsmarting Rebecca and her accompanying soldiers.

"That knight is no mere legend. I thought she was just a myth!" Freen muttered to herself as she urged her horse to greater speeds, ensuring Rebecca couldn't catch up.

Freen had heard tales of Rebecca's prowess—how she had led Seraphoria to victory in numerous battles even at the tender age of 14. Now, in her early twenties, Rebecca could dispatch Freen effortlessly.

"This is problematic," Freen whispered when she heard distant hoofbeats. "You go home alone, Scallop." She patted her horse thrice and grabbed onto the nearest branch, hiding herself among the trees.

Meanwhile, Rebecca seethed at Freen's antics. The king had entrusted her with a crucial mission—locate the missing princess. He believed a formidable adversary had abducted the princess, as she was known for her fragility, incapable of harming even a fly—a complete contrast to Rebecca. To fulfill her mission, Rebecca needed a powerful ally in combat, and the only suggestion had been Freen, the rogue.

Freen jumped from the tree to ride Rebecca's horse, causing her to widen her eyes.

"Tell me what you desire, milady?" Freen whispered to her ears, making her shiver because of Freen's raspy voice. "Where can we stop over to talk?"

"To the nearest lake. I have something to propose," Rebecca declared.

"Had you said that earlier, I wouldn't have fled. You know, I can be easily persuaded with a hefty sum," Freen teased, slowing her pace.

Rebecca felt an odd discomfort as Freen's arms encircled her. Their bodies pressed together, and Rebecca caught a whiff of Freen's scent—an aroma akin to sweet flowers.

"I do not know you well, and I wasn't aware of your fondness for wealth," Rebecca replied.

"That stings," Freen retorted, feigning hurt. "No matter, if you lack riches, perhaps you possess something else."

"What?" Rebecca inquired.

Freen gestured toward Rebecca's chest, causing her to widen her eyes. This audacious pervert!

"My bosom?" Rebecca gasped.

"What would I do with your bosom? I have one of my own! Fool," Freen quipped, pointing at the necklace hanging around Rebecca's neck.

"No, I'll compensate you," Rebecca sighed. This necklace held sentimental value; her father had given it to her with strict instructions to bestow it upon the one she loved.

"Though, there is a condition, Rebecca. I rarely accept offers that entangle the innocent," Freen stated, her tone nonchalant.

"The princess of Seraphoria is missing. I need your help to locate her," Rebecca said.

"I'm craving for something adventurous. That task is absolutely boring, you know? Besides, I'm not an agent to lost and found office." Freen went down from the horse. "But I'll think about your offer." She waved goodbye with a grin.

Rebecca closed her eyes, struggling to suppress her urge to assail the rogue. She needed a more suitable ally than Freen, who seemed likely to hasten her downfall.