Chapter 17

As Freen drifted into slumber, Irin remained, studying the arrow embedded in Freen's side. She couldn't comprehend why Freen had to endure such danger for the sake of a mere knight. Irin knew Freen's capabilities well; she excelled in many skills, including deflecting arrows. So how had this ordinary arrow found its mark?

"Freen is quite the hero, isn't she?" Irin remarked, covering the arrow with a piece of fabric. "She risks herself to save you, is that why she got hit?"

"In part, yes. There were numerous assassins targeting me, and Freen intervened to protect me. However, there were too many for her to evade them all," Becca explained.

Irin sighed, casting a glance at Freen, now peacefully asleep. There seemed to be a deep bond between the two of them.

"Don't you find her beautiful?" Irin asked, taking a seat beside Freen's bed. She gently brushed aside a lock of hair to reveal her old friend's face.

"Do you?" Becca inquired, joining Irin. "Indeed, she is beautiful. But I must warn you, do not lay a hand on her," Becca cautioned.

"I mean no harm," Irin reassured with a smile. "But you continually put her in danger."

"You do not understand," Becca retorted, turning away.

But Irin sensed there was more to Becca's story. When assassins had attacked her, they hadn't sought to harm her directly but rather something she possessed. What could it be?

"Do you have feelings for her?" Irin asked, fetching some medicine. "Or have you forgotten your betrothal?"

"That is none of your concern, and what do you know about me?" Becca snapped, her fists clenched.

Irin merely chuckled. "You don't even know who she truly is or where she comes from, do you?"

"I'm leaving. Your words are nonsensical," Becca declared, moving to depart, but Irin's laughter stopped her.

"Why do you avoid the truth, Lady Becca?" Irin inquired, approaching her. "Do you comprehend the consequences of loving someone while betrothed to the future Emperor? How would the Crown Prince feel if he discovered your affections?"

"I have no intention of marrying the crown prince. I will return to Seraphoria with the princess and resume the fight. Marriage is not in my plans. I was born alone, and I will die alone," Becca retorted sharply, but Irin shook her head, her expression unreadable.

"You cannot evade marriage, especially when you possess such skill," Irin whispered. "Have you ever tried wielding another weapon? Or do you believe you are only capable with one?" She handed Becca a bow and arrows, motioning for her to follow.

As they stood outside, Irin demonstrated her prowess, easily catching each arrow Becca loosed at her. But if Irin stood idle, she would be harmed.

"You are not unfamiliar with other weapons, Becca. You simply chose not to use them, believing yourself incapable," Irin explained, breaking the arrows and offering Becca a sword. "Try to strike me. If you succeed, I won't interfere with Freen."

"How dare you?" Becca protested.

Irin chuckled. "Why? She is not yours to claim. So, what do you say?"

Becca knew she couldn't win; Irin's weapon gave her an advantage. She didn't believe in herself; she didn't think she was capable of any of this.

Facing each other, their breath visible in the evening air, Becca muttered, "I still don't understand why you persist with this."

"Because, my dear Becca, you won't know your limits until you challenge them. And believe me, you are capable of more than you realize," Irin replied with a sly grin.

Becca's brows furrowed with uncertainty as she gripped her sword. "But I've never excelled with this type of sword. I lack the strength and skill of others."

"Strength and skill can be acquired, Becca. You're not a renowned knight for nothing. But first, you must believe in yourself," Irin encouraged.

With a sudden burst of speed, Irin attacked, and Becca parried desperately, struggling to keep up. But Irin wasn't just testing Becca's swordsmanship; she was testing her resolve, knowing her pride would drive her to fight with all her might.

"You can do better, Becca! Show me what you're made of!" Irin urged, her voice a mix of taunt and encouragement.

With anger flashing in her eyes, Becca pressed on, her confidence growing with each clash of their swords. As minutes passed, her movements became more fluid, her strikes more precise.

And then, with a surge of determination, Becca disarmed Irin, holding her sword steady at her throat.

"Well done, Becca," Irin praised, pride evident in her voice. "I knew you had it in you."

Becca lowered her sword, a newfound confidence in her demeanor. "Stay away from Freen," she warned, gratitude mingling with her resolve. "And thank you. I suppose I'm not as hopeless as I believed."

Clapping her on the shoulder, Irin smiled. "No, Lady Becca, far from it. In fact, I believe you're destined for more than you know."

"Such as?" Becca inquired, puzzled.

"Perhaps an Empress?" Irin teased.

Becca rolled her eyes. "Shut up."