Chapter 20

"What did the crown prince say?" Irin asked upon returning with the two. "Anything connected to our mission, locating Becca's killer?"

"Prince William mentioned there's a nearby tavern, but to gain entry, we require a token," Freen said, retrieving an item from her cloak pocket. "He provided this."

"And what did he ask for in return?" Becca inquired, shooting a jealous glance at Freen.

Freen pursed her lips, reaching for Becca's hand to give her the token. "It doesn't matter. We need to proceed."

Following Freen's lead, Becca complied, and they made their way to the tavern. With no alternative entrance, they approached the main door, presenting the token to the guard who granted them access. Inside, Becca noticed a mix of nobles and mercenaries, raising questions about their presence.

"Welcome, travelers. What can I offer you?" the owner greeted. "Beer or tea?"

"Be—" Irin began, only to be silenced by Freen's hand covering her mouth.

"Tea, please," Freen interjected with a smile, prompting the owner to prepare their order.

Irin huffed, shooting a glare at Freen. "Do you realize how long I've been stuck in that cave? This could've been my first beer."

"The owner wouldn't have offered just tea if we were here for leisure. We're seeking information," Freen explained to Irin. "If you're here merely for a drink, you'll receive one without any additional insight."

"Did Prince William also mention that?" Becca inquired, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes," Freen confirmed as they awaited their tea.

Once served, the owner joined them, indicating another payment was required for the information they sought.

"What do you wish to know?" the owner inquired.

Recalling Prince William's reference to a recent disturbance at the tavern, Freen voiced their curiosity. "We're interested in the altercation that occurred here last month among the nobles. What was it about, and who were they pursuing?"

"That incident," the owner smirked, leaning in discreetly. "Let me share the details with you."

As the owner revealed the story of a coveted stone, Becca grew intrigued. The stone's value surpassed that of the Empire itself, possessing ancestral ties to the throne.

Becca exchanged a glance with Freen, realizing the significance of the stone, potentially linked to her belongings. Despite her father's warning to safeguard them, she now found herself without either possession.

Leaving the tavern, they retreated to an inn to strategize, but Becca's anger lingered. Frustration mounted as she contemplated Freen's actions and the repercussions they faced.

"How much did you sell it for, Freen?" Becca demanded, her voice betraying her frustration. "Enough to feed the entirety of South Seraphoria? All this time, your life was at risk because of me."

As Freen offered apologies, Irin wisely excused herself from their argument, leaving Becca and Freen to confront their tumultuous situation.

"Let's return," Becca suggested. "To Valeria. We can locate the princess and retreat to Seraphoria."

"Why?" Freen snapped. "Your necklace is missing, potentially the stone the tavern owner mentioned. We must retrieve it."

"And then what?" Becca countered, her voice rising. "Risking your life in the process? They'll exploit you, just as they did with my father's closest ally. We won't recover the necklace; let them contend with each other. I'll take you home."

"But I have no home, Becca," Freen interjected. "No home, unlike you. Even after this mission, I'll be adrift."

"Then let me be your home, Freen," Becca implored, reaching for Freen's hand. "Live with me. I'll protect you. I'm proficient with any sword now, and I'll continue training once we return. Come with me. Let's build a life together."

"But eventually, you'll marry the future Emperor," Freen reminded her, her gaze falling. "I sold your necklace to the crown prince of the empire."

Becca sighed, lifting Freen's chin to meet her gaze. "It's alright now. Let him ascend the throne. I seek no power. The necklace was a gift from my father, meant for someone I love, to do as they wish. I don't mind what you did with it."

Tears welled in Freen's eyes as Becca's words sank in. "What... what do you mean?"

"It means I'm giving it to you because I love you," Becca declared softly, closing the distance between them in a tender kiss.

As their lips met, Freen's tears fell, consumed by the sweetness of the moment, momentarily forgetting their roles as monarch and betrothed.