Chapter 12

CHAPTER 12

"You girls are so weird," groaned Thor. "Do we really have to do this?"

"We're enjoying the little bit of time we have left to be kids and have fun," snapped Cassie. "Before Casey has to start her super important training as a super important government vehicle."

Casey didn't look at her sister. She's still bitter about that? It had been weeks since it was announced.

"It's okay," Thor whispered. He had eased closer to her. "You know she's just jealous, right?"

"I can hear you!" Cassie yelled.

"Yeah, and the whole fleet's going to if you keep it up," said Thor. "I thought we were trying to be discreet here."

Cassie snorted but said nothing.

Casey focused her attention outside the garage where the three were gathered. Her dad and Darryl were supposed to be coming back soon, with the new fleet truck. Mike's little brother. They were going to try to watch them secretly, and listen to what they said. I wonder if Mike's brother will be as shiny as he is. Probably even more, right? She had to admit, though, she didn't mind the way he looked with a little dirt on his fenders. She shuddered. What is this? I'm supposed to hate Mike, right? He's annoying!

"Ooh, I think I hear them," giggled Cassie.

Casey could hear a faint rumbling drawing nearer. As the sound got closer, she could separate it into three distinct rumbles. One sounded exactly like Michael's. That must be his brother.

The three red trucks came into view; her dad, Darryl, and a shiny red Ford pickup, almost identical to Michael. But his front bumper is shiny chrome instead of black like Mike's. She didn't know which she preferred.

She could hear her dad's voice now. "This is our main facility, where we spend most of our time when we aren't working. Our midday break just finished, so you won't see many trucks here now."

"Do you know where Mike is?" wondered the newer truck.

"He's fulfilling some tasks for me," explained Darryl.

"Ooh." His headlights glowed.

"What's his name?" whispered Cassie, pushing closer to Casey.

"I don't know," Casey answered.

"It's Bryan," hissed Thor. "And can we get out of here already? We're going to look ridiculous, hiding away in here. Plus your dad probably wants us to introduce ourselves."

"Just five more minutes," hissed Cassie.

Casey focused her attention on the older trucks once more. The only other fleet truck who wasn't out working was Edward, who was introducing himself now.

"Bryan looks so nervous," giggled Cassie. "Do you think Uncle Ed's intimidating to him?"

Casey couldn't help but snicker. "Uncle Ed? Intimidating? Come on now." Cassie was right, though. Bryan wouldn't really meet the van's gaze, though she could tell he was trying his best to show confidence.

"What will I be doing today?" Bryan had turned back to their dad now.

"I'll be showing you several of our properties located around the city, just to give you a general idea. There are a lot, so don't let it overwhelm you."

"Take notes, Casey." Cassie nudged her.

Casey watched as her dad glanced around. "We can leave in a moment," he said. "I just don't know where the kids went." He glanced at Darryl. "Did you see them?"