Chapter 18

CHAPTER 18

"Just a week till your sister starts her training," muttered Bryan. "Now, what do you think of that?"

Is he trying to rub it in my face? "Don't test me, Bryan," Cassie hissed. "Be happy I'm even sitting next to you right now."

"Well, there's no one else to sit next to."

Bryan was right. The whole lot behind the garages had been cleared out except the two of them. It was a busy late Monday morning; all the fleet except Bryan were working hard. Casey and Thor had gone out for a drive, not bothering to invite Cassie.

"How come you're not out there, being important, like the rest of them?" Cassie snapped. "Haven't you got better to do than hanging around your boss's daughter?" She scoffed. "You know, my dad probably wouldn't like you always hanging around me, trying to get under my paint."

"That's not what I'm doing," Bryan scowled. "You're the one who's all over me! All I'm trying to do is be a little polite to the only other car left in the lot."

Is he insulting me? He doesn't know how badly I wish I could smack him.

"And about being important," Bryan went on, "it's a busy day, and I'd be training with Darryl if he didn't have more important tasks to handle right now."

"Too bad." Cassie bounced her springs.

Bryan shifted his wheels. "You know, I try to make polite conversation with you. It's not easy."

Cassie giggled, making a circle around him.

"What are you doing?" he snapped, whirling around.

"I was checking to see if you had turned into a dirty work truck yet." She faced him. He's fun to tease.

"And, have I?" He shuffled his tires self-consciously.

"Hmm." Cassie let her headlights glow as if she were deep in thought. I'll make him wonder. "You're only a little bit dirty. Give it another month, though. You'll start looking like my uncle John. Have you seen the mud caking his wheels?"

"Unlike John, I actually enjoy going for a wash," Bryan hissed.

"You're kind of a sissy boy." She let out a little laugh. "That's what I heard my auntie Rose say about Darryl once. Is that a requirement, for Security Officers?"

"Now you're just trying to piss me off."

"Ooh, watch your language. So, what does my dad have you doing today? Anything?"

"I don't know yet; he said to wait and see. He'll let me know when it gets less busy."

"So you're stuck here all by yourself."

"Not really. You're here, and if you were a tad nicer to me, I could say I was enjoying your company."

"Lighten up, Bryan." She moved closer to him, breathing in his strong scent. Him or Mike? Which one's better? Maybe I could get to him, and he could convince my dad to add me to the fleet as well! That way Casey had no chance of taking Michael from her. Or Bryan. I still haven't decided which one I want yet.

"What are you doing?" Bryan had inched away from her.

"I was telling you to lighten up. You know I'm just playing when I tease you, right?"

"Uh... right."

"Hey, you think I'm better for the job than Casey, right?" She was aware of how she spit out her sister's name, and how distasteful towards her sister she must sound to Bryan.