Epilogue

EPILOGUE

Darryl stared at the crowd of trucks. Is this it? Am I supposed to feel this empty? he asked himself. He had been preparing himself for this for a long time. His age had finally caught up with him. I just can't do it anymore, and it's about time someone takes my place. So why does it feel so wrong?

He was sitting alone at one of the corners of the lot behind the garages. He often sat alone. Darryl wasn't a believer in forcing his company upon anyone who didn't want it. He knew many of these trucks had reasons to not want to be around him; reasons to hate him, even. And I believe in fairness, and justice. Except that I haven't really gotten justice for the things I've done. And, he knew he'd probably do them again. Poor George. But nobody understands what it's like, being me.

He let his gaze stray to the Chevy utility truck. Even he looks like he's getting old, and he's five years younger than I am. Darryl knew George had more miles on him than most of the trucks in the fleet. Will he make it to the typical fifteen year point? Will he surpass it?

Darryl sighed, giving his frame a shake. This would be the last night he spent as part of the fleet he'd known almost his whole life, and he was choosing to spend it here. Even if they ignore me, I'd rather be surrounded by everyone than in that security building, all alone. Everybody always took Darryl for a loner, but he never wanted to be one. He just hated inconveniencing others with his presence. He had been that way since he was a child. He thought he would grow out of it as he aged, and he managed to leave some of it behind, but it was always still a part of him. Somehow, I'm always going to care whether I'm a bother or a burden to someone. And this fleet was the last thing he wanted to burden. It's all I've got, and all I've ever had. It was sort of like family. You only got one, and it didn't matter if they were annoying, judgmental, or distasteful. You still had to look out for them, and love them.

"Darryl!" Kimberly was rolling over to him, the evening sky turning her windshield bright orange.

Maybe someone does want my company. "Hi Kimberly."

"I hear you're leaving tomorrow." She tapped her wheel against his, and held it there. "We are all going to miss you so much."

Not all of you. "I'll be fine," he promised her, feeling his suspension stiffen. Ouch. My springs are getting old. "You know, I like to think I've done this company some good." There has to be someone who agrees. I need something to comfort me when I'm gone; someone else's words.

"You've done the company immense good." Kimberly pulled her wheel away from his, and lined up in the space beside him. Her black paintwork was sparkling in the dull light.

She said what I needed to hear. But was it only because I needed to hear it? "Thanks, Kimberly. You've done it lots of good as well. Promise me you'll teach the others some of what you know? You keep your knowledge so hidden, and it's doing you no good."

"What do I know, Darryl?" she asked cheekily.

"You studied psychology during your government training, and you're incredibly knowledgeable on it. You should teach those things to the other higher ups, like Bryan and Michael." She's helped me discover things about myself, and accept myself. She's much younger than me, but she took very well to psychology.

"I'll pass my knowledge down," she said. "You know, I try with George. I try teaching him about himself, but he's just... George."

Darryl shifted his wheels on the cool pavement. I guess I'll miss looking at him, and listening to him, though I never had a real bond with him.