ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ

Donnie sat in his lab, tinkering, as usual. He was working on a gadget he had been thinking about making for a bit. He was focusing... focusing... focusing...

**BAM BAM BAM**

Donnie jumped, his tools in hand twirling in the air above him, he caught them, just barely. Only two dickwads bang on his doors like that. Leo, and Y/n. 

Y/n came by all the time, mostly to annoy their turtle friend. The two never openly established a friendship, mostly referring it as 'tolerating' each other, but it was obvious they're sort of friends now. 

They're of course at each other's throats all the time, but less hatred, and more in a semi-jokingly kind of way.

Donnie stood up, his fists slamming on his desk angrily. He walked up to the door, opening. He turned to glare at them and chew them out, but they simply hummed (favorite song) as they skipped past him, annoying him more (which was their intent).

"Why must you be so bothersome..", Donnie glared.

Y/n shrugged, stealing a snack from Donnie's minifridge. It was hidden, but Y/n was observant enough to figure out its whereabouts. Donnie grumbled, sitting down. Y/n sat on the side of his desk, munching on a random snack they pulled out of his minifridge. 

Donnie glared at them then groaned, "I'd appreciate if your dirty ass DIDN'T sit on my nice work desk.."

Y/n replied, their mouth full of food, "Oh shut it, green bean."

"Green bean? Is that the best your 'brilliant' brain can think of? Scoff. That was sarcasm by the way.", Donnie, went back to working.

"Glad we both agree I'm brilliant.", Y/n smiled, ignoring the last part.

"I just said I was being-"

"Sooo moldy, what are you working on?", Y/n cut the turtle off, smiling.

"Back to that name, are we.." Donnie heavily sighed, "if you MUST know, I'm working on some small gadget that was on my mind. Not too complicated, just some basic skill needed. It's just a fun project I wanted to do on the side."

Donnie explained the use of it, and how it's basically a pocket-weapon. Y/n listened intensely, staring at him as he spoke, fully invested. At one point in his rant, he paused upon seeing their face fixated on him. He gave a small smile as the passion in his words picked up upon realizing SOMEONE actually cared about his ranting.

He happily answered their questions as he worked and took some of their tips in mind.

"And yeah, that's the gist of it. Any other questions?", Donnie looked up at the teen.

"Can-"

"No, you may not use it once it's done. Any OTHER questions??", Donnie smirked.

"Awe man. No...", Y/n put their head down.

Donnie chuckled and continued working. He then paused.

"Maybe.. I'll change my mind..", Donnie gave a small smile as he remained focused on his work. Y/n smiled.

Y/n began to glance up at Donnie's screen, it was filled with code he was going to import into a chip to put inside the gadget. Y/n scanned over the code, checking for inconsistencies, like an editor.

As Donnie worked, his gaze slowly moved to Y/n, who stayed focused on his screen. He paused for a moment, getting to know the subtle movements the teen displayed. The way their nose scrunched up when in focus, the way they picked on their fingers with their hand as they sat there, the way they-

"You're staring.", Y/n spoke, not seeming to be even looking his way, as they were using their peripheral vision. Donnie jumped a bit, as his heart raced, his face heating up in embarrassment. 

He did NOT mean to stare, he just gets overly observant of those around him, especially if he doesn't know them as well as his brothers, or April.

"No I wasn't", Donnie quickly replied. Y/n paused, then faced towards him immediately.

"Nuh uh, you TOTALLY were, liar!"

"Shut up."

"Make me."

"Totally subtle topic change, want to help me put this together?", Donnie spoke rapidly. Y/n instantly forgot what just happened the second helping was involved. Y/n leapt at the opportunity and Donnie asked them to just download the code into the chip.

The two worked, and eventually Mikey called them out for some pizza. 

"YES!!", Y/n cheered, and held out their hand for a high-five.

Donnie simply stared at them. Y/n's brows furrowed as they gave a dramatic frown, then they put their hand down. Donnie then did an exaggerated sigh.

"If a high five is THAT important, go on..", Donnie rolled his eyes, holding his hand out for a high five.

Y/n gave a huge smile and gave him a (very harsh) high five. They then leapt off his desk, dashing to the group for pizza.

The group ate and spoke, enjoying the pizza. Once the food was all eaten, Y/n grabbed their bag and began walking to the exit with April, who was with the other brothers the entire time. 

Donnie then stopped the two. 

"Y/n."

Y/n and April shared a confused glance, then Y/n turned around.

"It seems a work buddy has helped my mood rates in my lab. Apparently, companionship is very useful in the means of not getting overly frustrated in the workplace. I also calculated that my speed rates would be upped with an extra hand in the lab, and since you're competent enough for the role, would you like to assist me in my lab? Specifically, tomorrow. And whenever you're free. As I'm obviously implying, as an assistant.", Donnie asked Y/n.

Y/n grinned widely.

"Definitely! Ha! See I knew you loved me! This means we're friends now... like officially... rightttttttt?", Y/n smiled. Donnie groaned.

"Yes... I suppose that could mean we're... friends..", Donnie looked away, his brows furrowed. 

"Oh why so grumpy.", Y/n teasingly asked.

"You're annoying.", Donnie sighed.

"Yet you asked me to be your lab partner.", Y/n smirked.

Donnie grumbled in response, then Y/n and April left, waving goodbye.