Arrest in Transit

*At Firehouse 51: On the Apparatus Floor: Nighttime*

Joe, Herrmann, Otis, and Gabby were all hovering near the Truck 81 rig, looking it over to make sure everything was in tip top shape. The Truck Driver had just closed the door to his side of the vehicle when he caught sight of a worried looking Mouch walking towards them.

"What's wrong, Mouchie?" He inquired, instantly becoming concerned and placing a hand on his shoulder. "They didn't clear you for duty?"

"Guys, I don't know what happened. I was just being friendly, asking about glass eyes, which is a bona fide interest of mine, and all of a sudden. . . I have a date." Mouch explained with wide eyes.

"What?" Herrmann asked in disbelief.

"I was simply expressing gratitude for how well she fixed me up and I said, 'I owe you a steak dinner,' and then she says, 'let's go out Friday.'" He hissed, voice shooting up a few octaves near the end.

"So you asked her out to dinner." Joe pointed out.

"It's an expression!" Mouch shot back in a low growl.

"It is?" Otis gave him a skeptical look.

"Is she attractive?" Herrmann suddenly asked out of the blue.

"Herrmann, Mouch is spoken for." Joe glared at him, incredulously.

"You can't blame Mouch for this." Otis jumped in.

"Why not?" The Truck Driver frowned in confusion.

"Yeah, why not?" Mouch, himself, also wanted to know the answer to that question.

"'Cause he's got momentum on his side. Nothing succeeds like success." The elevator man quipped.

"Oh, so nothing fails like failure? Is that what you're saying?" Joe retorted, harshly.

"What? No, no, I'm just saying, now that Mouch is a taken man, he's like catnip to other women." Otis reasoned but the Truck Driver just shook his head and brushed right past the other man.

"I'm a taken man, I ain't got no lady doctors throwing themselves at me." Herrmann muttered.

"Trudy will rip my head clean off if she finds out I got a date with another woman. I gotta get out of this!" Mouch cried out in frustration and stormed off.

He, along with the rest of Truck 81's members, were completely oblivious to the fact that their Captain had heard their entire conversation. Ana smirked from where she had been hiding behind the Squad rig and proceeded to sneak back into the Firehouse without being seen, a plan already formulating in the back of her mind.

*The Next Morning: Near the End of Shift*

Ana, along with several other members of Truck 81 and Squad 3 walked out of the Firehouse dressed in their civilian clothing. They had originally been intending to carry out their post shift routine and make their way over to their vehicles but that idea was postponed upon finding Peter Mills in the midst of heated argument with another, older looking, man.

". . .but I do know what your son went through. I- I- I was with him the entire time, all right?" The former Candidate tried his best to soothe the angry male despite being more than a little out of breath.

"All I know is he went into that ambulance alive and he came out dead and that's on your ass!" He growled, ignoring the squealing of tires as a black van pulled in behind him.

"That's- that's secondary drowning, okay? A pulmonary edema-"

"I heard it all from the doctors, I don't want to hear your pathetic excuses!" The man spat, lunging forwards and making to strangle the younger man.

Most of the firefighters watching moved in to aide Peter while Matt and Gabby stayed back near Ana, who was more than a little rattled now to say the least.

"Mr. Lullo, hey!" Two men, presumably the older's bodyguards, raced over and pulled him away from the former Candidate. "Mr. Lullo, you're upset. Why don't you get back in the car. Mr. Lullo, I'm sorry. I can't let you do this. I'm sorry, Mr. Lullo."

"I tried everything to save your boy and I wish that I could have saved him. I'm- I'm sorry." Peter apologized, breathlessly, honestly meaning every single word that came out of his mouth in that moment.

Lullo just shrugged off his bodyguards' arms and leveled a dark glare on the younger man.

"You're dead." He snarled before marching over towards his car.

All of the firefighters watched them drive away before turning back to the Firehouse and found their Captain practically hiding in the arms of her best friend. One of her hands was clamped down around her right ear while the other was pressing her phone firmly to her left. Considering the obvious, they could only assume that she was talking to her father.

*A Few Days Later: Outside of An Unnamed Restaurant*

". . .And thanks, again, for making sure Daddy didn't go off the rails with the whole Lullo thing. I think I worried him way more than I meant to." Ana admitted, quietly.

"Okay, 1. He's your father, Honey, he's always gonna worry about you no matter what. 2. Al and I got him to let Halstead take the lead and yes, of course, I will keep you updated on any investigations into the matter." Trudy couldn't help but crack a small smile when her goddaughter nodded gratefully in response. "And last but not least, number 3. Thank YOU for telling me about my idiot of a boyfriend's latest fumble. Is he still in there?"

"Yup." The brunette smirked popping the "p." "Poor guy doesn't even know her first name. You have his CFD clearance?" She watched as the Desk Sergeant produced a white envelope in reply. "All right, go wrangle your man."

"Oh, don't you worry. I am gonna milk every last drop out of this cow." The older woman chuckled, dryly, before disappearing inside the restaurant.

Ana just shook her head with a snort before making her way over to Matt's awaiting Truck.

*Later That Night*

The brunette was propped up comfortably on the bed in her best friend's guest bedroom. She had a book in hand and was finishing up a chapter, having just turned the page when the door suddenly opened and closed again not a second later. Ana looked up to see her husband staring off into space with a far away look in his eyes.

"Kelly?" She frowned, instantly concerned. "What's wrong?"

The Lieutenant opened and closed his mouth a few times, trying to find the right words to describe what just happened, and eventually settled with-

"Brittany's gone. She. . . needed to go home." He murmured, distantly.

His wife just smiled, knowingly, and drew back the covers on his side of the bed before gently patting the mattress. Kelly immediately slipped in despite the feeling of deja vu arising from when he had told her about the little boy he'd missed during his primary search. Much like then, he wrapped his arms around her tightly and buried his nose into her hair, inhaling her comforting sent. This time, however, Ana just pressed into his side and continued reading her book, knowing that no other words needed to be said. Her presence, alone, was all that he needed.

A/N I hope you all enjoyed! Till next time!

~Princess <3