Let Him Die

*Back at Firehouse 51: In the Common Room: A Few Hours After the End of the Last Chapter*

"Hey, guys." Kelly greeted, walking over to the counter with Ana following him every step of the way.

"Any sign of Mills and Brett?" The Captain inquired.

"Cruz is giving us updates on the search, but nothing concrete yet." Matt shook his head, not looking away from his phone.

The Squad Lieutenant suddenly paused and turned back around in surprise.

"Cruz is with the cops?" He asked in disbelief.

"Yeah, he refused to come back with us. This whole thing has gotten really spun out." Otis muttered.

"How's baby Boden doing?" Mouch wondered.

"Uh. . ." Ana trailed off, not knowing how to answer that.

She suddenly found her husband's figure pouring coffee to be really interesting.

"What does that mean?" Herrmann demanded, quietly, feeling his heart drop to his feet.

"Um, baby's still not absorbing oxygen. Doctors are working on him. Boden, he's holding it together, but you can tell he's- he's worried." Kelly revealed, grimly, handing his wife a coffee mug before turning around with one of his own.

"All right. I got to call him, see what's going on." Herrmann murmured, pulling out his phone.

"Does he know about Mills and Brett?" Matt inquired.

"No. I didn't think he needed to worry about that right now." Ana reasoned through a mouthful of the hot liquid.

"All right. Good. Let's keep it that way." The blond nodded in agreement.

*A Little While Later*

As the search progressed, Jay and Joe came across a brutal accident sight but it appeared that everyone involved had made it out alive. Nonetheless, the rest of Truck 81 and Squad 3 drove down to help out. Aside from Herrmann, of course. He went to go be with Chief and Donna at the hospital.

"Blood." Ana called, swallowing thickly as she pointed at the red liquid splattered on driver's seat.

Jay rushed over to take a look for himself

"All right, at least one occupant is injured. Maybe they didn't get too far." He speculated, walking back toward all the other cops. "Come here. Come here. Come here. I want a tight perimeter, I want a canine unit, and I want a door to door search of the entire neighborhood. If you see anything you think might be out of place, I want to hear about it."

And with that, they all dispersed to carry out their orders.

*A Little While Later*

"Hey, got another one." Gabby called out, bending down to pick up an alcohol prep pad.

She had found a few of them earlier and remembered that Sylvie liked to stuff her pockets full of them. Her, Jay, Matt, Mouch, and a few other officers had set off to find the end of the makeshift trail.

"Okay, shh." The Detective shushed everyone quietly and gestured urgently. "I need you guys to get back behind the door. Get back behind the door."

Jay, as quietly as he could, pressed his ear against the cold metal. Immediately he heard the sounds of two voices arguing on the other side.

". . . But the deal was, we fix him up and you let us leave."

"I know what the deal was!"