Headlong Toward Disaster

Has not been proofread yet. Sorry for any mistakes.

*At Firehouse 51: In the Briefing Room*

Everyone was gathered around to hear the tragic news that Chief's dad had passed away not long after the party ended.

"I'm glad I got to spend some time with my father. . . and he got to know all of you." The older man gazed around at all of the firefighters warmly. "Right now, I'm gonna take advantage of some unused furlough and wrap up my father's affairs."

"Uh, don't forget, Chief, you're also entitled to paternity leave." Mouch interjected.

"I will be taking furlough, Mouch. And a lot of it." He corrected, getting a few chuckles out of everyone else. "I know you'll all be fine without me. Battalion Chief Pat Pridgen will fill in the void." Chief turned to a tall man who had, up until now, been standing silently a few feet away. "Treat him right. His own house, 17, was closed last year by our old friend Ms. McLeod."

That cursed name got a lot of boos and hisses out from the crowd.

"Aw, come on. McLeod wasn't all bad. . . as soulless assassins go." Pridgen smirked, making the negative noises turn into laughter but he quickly became serious and stepped over to the older man. "Don't worry about 51, Chief. I'll take good care of it in your absence." Pat placed one hand on his shoulder and shook his with the other. "I'm terribly sorry for your loss."

"Thanks." Chief murmured.

*On the Apparatus Floor: A Few Minutes Later*

"Take as much time as you need, Chief." Matt offered as him and practically everyone else followed the older man on his way out.

"Yeah, you earned it." Kelly agreed.

"Gonna miss you like Hell, Chief." Gabby smiled.

"And I'm gonna miss you too." He turned and locked eyes with Ana as a teasing smirk spread across his lips. "Well, some of ya."

"Hey, Chief. Squad's still shorthanded." Capp pointed out as the laughter caused by the previous remark began to fade away. "We getting anyone to sub for Newhouse?"

"Talk to Chief Pridgen about that. It's in his hands now."  The older man glanced around real quick, making sure the relief Chief was nowhere to be found before continuing. "But I think we all know who I'm really leaving in charge."

"Yeah, we do." Matt dropped an arm around his best friend's shoulders to which Kelly shot him a playful glare and quickly replaced it with one of his own.

"Don't worry, Chief. I'll make sure Pridgen doesn't tear down the house while you're away." The Captain promised.

He nodded warmly in thanks before gazing at each of the firefighters one last time.

"See you when I see you." The older man murmured.

"He'll be back in a week." Herrmann assured as they all watched Chief's retreating figure head towards his car.

"He'll be back next shift." Matt corrected with a scoff.

"Oh for sure." Ana giggled but the good mood faded quickly at the sound of Gabby's distressed voice.

"Oh, you gotta be kidding me." She groaned in disbelief.

Everyone turned to see none other than the former Lieutenant of Truck 66, Tommy Welch, walking in their direction with a few bags over his shoulders.

"What the Hell is he doing here?" Herrmann muttered.

"What's the matter, Welch? You lost?" Matt taunted.