Call It Paradise

Kelly pulled up to the side of Firehouse 51 in his mustang. He threw the vehicle into park before pulling the keys out of the ignition and looking down at his phone. The screen displayed a voicemail that the Lieutenant looked hesitant to play and he glanced over at his wife in the passenger's seat. Ana just smiled and encouraged him with a soft nod.

"Hey, Lieutenant, Captain Cunningham here. Call me. I need to talk to you."

Kelly rolled his eyes and promptly deleted the message.

"Do you think she wants to. . .?" He trailed off.

"I'm not sure." The brunette frowned in thought. "Hard to tell from that alone."

"Come on. We'll figure it out later." The Lieutenant murmured, grabbing his duffel bag and moving to get out of the car.

Ana went to follow but they both instantly flinched back inside when the freezing cold Chicago air hit them, laughing as they tried to warm themselves back up. Even before they attempted to leave their breath could be seen in the air but it was only ten times worse outside. Kelly reached back and produced an extra jacket, tossing it to the Captain who had already begun shivering despite the thick sweater she had on.

The brunette took it with a grateful nod and the couple stepped out of the vehicle once again. The Lieutenant rounded the front and wrapped an arm around Ana, feeding her as much warmth as he could. The two practically sprinted towards the Firehouse, meeting up with Tony halfway there. The second they were inside, Kelly released the Captain and slammed his duffle bag on the floor.

"Wow!" He looked at the Squad Member in surprise.

"Cold enough for you, Lieutenant?" Tony teased, shovel in hand.

"Yeah, I just saw a penguin, crying!" Kelly joked.

Ana, whose shivering had slowed down immensely since stepping onto the Apparatus Floor, shot a pointed look at where Peter and Herrmann were over by Ambulance 61. The hood was propped open and there was an extra set of feet poking out from underneath the vehicle but the person they belonged to was indecipherable at the moment.

"Engine's busted. Or froze." The former Candidate explained. "Anyway, Fleet Management's jammed up, so I asked Capp to take a look."

"Let me guess, he upgraded you to the full-service package." Kelly quipped, dryly, stepping over to join the three men.

The Captain followed as well, curiosity getting the best of her.

"He started going on about the air filter and then the fuel intake." Herrmann snorted. "And next thing you know-"

"Ah, damn it!" Capp swore as the sound of metal clanging rang throughout the area.

"What the Hell was that?!" The Truck Member demanded.

"Relax! I've got a handle on it." His Squad Counterpart assured as he finally stood up.

"Roll call in five." Ana shook her head at their antics and made to walk inside the Firehouse only for Herrmann's voice to pull her back again.

"You hear that, Cooter?" He smirked, elaborating when everyone stared at him in confusion. "Dukes of Hazzard?" Disappointment filled his being as still no one got the reference. "You guys suck!"

*In the Briefing Room: A Little While Later*

"We have a bona fide weather emergency. Temperature's are down to below 15. Windchill brings that to under 40. Cold weather has knocked out the servers at the alarm office. 911 is down. It is war out there and we have got to be prepared." Chief proclaimed, firmly, gazing at each and every one of the firefighters huddled together in the room.