I Am the Apocalypse

Has not been proofread yet. Sorry for any mistakes.

Sirens wailed and horns blared down the street as the rigs of Firehouse 51 came to a stop in front of a large warehouse. Ana and Kelly hopped out of the Squad Truck, glancing up at the roof where two men were waving frantically for help. The couple then spotted their Chief a few feet away and rushed over just as he addressed another man helping a few victims out of the building.

"Gas leak?" He guessed.

"Yeah." The other man nodded. "We use anhydrous ammonia as a refrigerant. The line broke. You can't breathe in there. All employees are accounted for, but Scooter and Brad are trapped on the roof." He gestured up at the pair still waving their arms about.

"Main, gonna need a level one hazmat response." Chief radioed.

"Matt, get a ladder up on that roof." Ana pointed upwards. "And masks on."

"You heard her." The blond turned to his men. "Let's go." Joe raised the aerial and the Truck Lieutenant put his mask on before slowly making his way way up, finding a slight problem upon reaching the top. "We're about 8 feet short."

"On it!" Kelly immediately rushed forwards and tapped Capp on the shoulder. "Get the 10-foot down."

"Yeah." He nodded and together they brought it over to Truck 81.

The Squad Lieutenant climbed up on the Trick before reaching back for the ladder and slowly ascending the aerial. However, just as he got to the top, a huge flash over shot through the upper level of the warehouse. On the ground, Ana flinched back as glass from the shattered windows rained down around her.

"Kelly! Matt!" She clutched at her radio, worriedly, as her bad feelings from the dinner with April's family came back at full force.

"I'm fine!" Kelly assured, instantly. "Hey, Casey! You all right?"

"I'm awake now." He joked back in return.

The Captain let out a huge breath of relief just as Chief spoke up next to her.

"Hey, an ammonia explosion like that produces very little fire. We are gonna wait for hazmat to breach, boys." He decided in a firm tone that left very little up to discussion. "It's too dangerous. Come on down."

"Hey, Chief, we can get the workers on the roof! At least let us do that!" Kelly reasoned.

The older man glanced over at the brunette and she just nodded in response.

"Okay. Two minutes." He relented.

The two Lieutenants got the pair down off the roof and met back up with Chief and Ana on the ground just as hazmat arrived on scene.

"The nearest ambo's five minutes out." The Captain revealed with a concerned look on her face.

Even she could see that most of these people didn't have that long.

"Chief, Captain, victims are in respiratory distress." Peter pointed out, having overheard their conversation.

"We can load two or three into the Squad." Kelly realized.

"Let's do it." Ana agreed and the couple rushed off to get started.

"We'll head to Chicago Med and help offload." Matt offered, already moving to follow after them.

"Okay. Mills, call ahead." Chief ordered. "Tell them that their day is gonna be a whole hell of a lot busier."

*At Chicago Med: A Little While Later*