Chapter Seventeen: Its Complicated

~Faiths POV~

I had been pacing in front of Shane, who had been sitting on the edge of my bed, for a while until he decided to answer me, "It's not something I can explain. Kaden's almost back. Just wait. Okay?"

"Fine." With a huff, I plopped down on my bed next to him. Rather than keep the conversation going, I decided to just stare at the floor, hoping to make the time pass faster.

"You know... He's changed. You both have." Shane stated silently. He was slouched over, his head bent down as his elbows rested heavily on his knees.

"What are you talking about?" I questioned him without looking up.

"I've only known you for a short time, but I've known Kaden for a while now. He's not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Or at least as he lets everyone thinks he is. And ever since you two have started this game, you both have changed. You guys seem... happier. Even though you think him to be a pig headed beast, or whatever you go around grumbling when he pisses you off, but I see it in you eyes as well as his." I could feel his gaze on my face, as though he were searching for a response. I brought my eyes up to look him as I practically pleaded him to go on.

"See what?"

"That you-" Shane was abruptly cut off by my bedroom door swinging open and five obnoxious teenage boys enter. Both of our heads snap up to watch them as they stopped behind Kaden who looked like his feet were planted into the ground. Standing up I approached him, but his eyes were glued to Shane. As though he were giving confirmation. Confirmation for what though?

Once I had stopped in front of him, Kaden's eyes shifted to me. They searched my face for something before settling on my eyes. His stance became rigid and you could see his whole body tense up. As he did this, a hand of his lifted itself to my face and gently rested on my cheek. I could see... worry in his eyes. An emotion I've never seen him have before.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Mumbling, I hesitated to ask about what happened. Not because I didn't want to or anything, but because he seemed scared. Why though? What would he be scared of. He definitely didn't seem scared when he was talking to that guy in the woods. Looks like that hesitation was already out the door. Because as lifted a hand to his forearm, gently pulling it down, I my lips started forming words before I could control them.

"Now, would you like to explain the events of tonight?" I asked crossing my arms over my chest and settling my weight on one hip.

"No, no I don't. There's nothing to speak about."

"Kaden, what the hell happened tonight!?" By now I had started to raise my voice. I was furious. Why can't anyone give me a stinking answer!

"You don't need to know! Nothing happened tonight! Okay!" Kaden was fuming just as bad as I was, only he looks way more intense. "Guys, you can go home. I'll see you tomorrow." When he spoke, he spoke angrily, yet calmly. All while never tearing his eyes away from mine.

One by one, the boys silently left the room, shutting the door behind them and leaving me alone with Kaden. Now, I was getting answers.

"Kaden I swear to god that if you don't tell me what's going on I'll-"

"You'll what?"

"You know what? Just forget it." Allowing my face to soften up, I simply turned my back to him and walked away. Kaden stood still as I made my way over to the window sill and sat down, pulling my knees to my chest and wrapping my arms around them while looking out the window towards the ground. For once, I allowed myself to look sad, though at the time, I wasn't. I just know how to manipulate people. And boy did it work.