Chapter Nineteen: May I?

A/N: Lyrics from the song above are in the text; centered and italicized. Btw, the song is we Unbreakable by Madison Beer, which personally, is my favorite song in the whole world. 😍😍 P.s. I did change out some of the lyrics of this version of the song with the regular lyrics.

~Kaden's POV~

I could feel her arm tighten a bit around mine, as we entered the building. She seems tense. Out of it.

Entering the ball, you could hear the various chatters of those who were already there. Music was playing in the background, but not many people were dancing. Though there were many high schoolers here, I'd have to say there are probably more adults. Why do they even make this a town event anyway, it's just stupid.

Looking down and over at Faith, I take in her full appearance; tight-waisted dress that fit perfectly. Curled hair thrown to the side. A diamond necklace clinging to her chest. Dark eyeliner that made her blue eyes stand out. And those plump, red lips that practically mesmerized you, as she spoke.

She's beautiful. There's no denying it.
Anyone with eyes could see that.

Though, I should know by now how much a simple smile can hide.

I don't think I could ever give the emotional support a person like that needs when I have enough of my own demons to deal with. Fighting my own battles is one thing, helping someone else fight their battle is a complete other. And it's not something I can do. I just can't.

Fuck. Tonight is going to be a long night if I can't focus on just the dance and this meeting.

***

The girls ran off to dance a while ago and it's just the guys now. Glancing down at my watch, I quickly realize it's almost nine.

"Hey guys, I gotta go do something, I'll be right back." Before I turn around to leave, I make sure to give them a look, as to tell them what I'm up to. They already know, anyways.

A few people stopped me on the way to say hi, but I merely smiled in response and kept walking. They're so impatient. Silently, and with both hands in my pockets, I walked to the other side of the street and reached the fountain as a chime from the clocktower rang throughout the city. It's nine.

Their shadows appeared, then they did.

Alec had no problem getting straight to the point. "What happened last weekend?"

Christian was the first to speak, "One of Blackwood's men showed up at a clearing in the woods behind our houses."

"Was she there?"

I grinned at the memory of our make out session in the woods. Rubbing my jaw with one hand, I replied, "Oh yeah, she was there."

Alec seemed intrigued, "Why was she in the woods, alone?"

"She wasn't, she was with me."

"What were you doing?"

"Do you really want to know, Alec? I mean, with your history together and all..." I inwardly smirked, knowing that what I said would strike a nerve with him. Though the lighting was quite dim, you could just make out his hands balling up into fists and jaw clenching. Alec's stance went rigid and he puffed his chest out. The others' actions became similar as I stood there. "Oh, sorry. Did I hit a soft spot there? Whoops." Imposing sarcastically, I antagonized him.