Reunion

"Esther! We are running out of time! The Ancestors can't run for much longer! You must hurry!" Tessa yelled at her protege. Esther vanished to await her chance to re-enter her body with only one thought, "Soon, my children...Soon."

Damon has never felt this awful in his existence. For the past two days, he has been sweating, shivering, and overwhelmed with nausea. His body aches and occasionally he feels like his bones are breaking. The only reprieve is the comfort of his mates. That was somewhat of a shock; both Leilani and Niklaus are his mates, not just the persons he wants to be with. Damon's vampire was able to sense a connection between the three of them, but now that bond seems to have become stronger after being bit.

Klaus and Lei have barely left his side. Fenrir and Bill have been in and out, monitoring his health and progression of the Lycanthropy. A very guilt-ridden Mason stopped by a few times before Klaus' wolf growled at him to leave. Mason hung his head and whimpered in shame as he left the Salvatore Boarding house. Fenrir had warned Stefan to stay away from the triad until after Damon recovered. It was a precautionary measure for the young vampire's sake.

On the third day, Damon's fever elevated to a dangerous level. He woke Lei with his groaning and extreme body heat. She was laying on her side facing Damon, so she reached over him and lightly shook Klaus, "Hmm?" Klaus groggily opened his eyes to look at Lei. "We need to cool him down. Cooling charms are not enough. Winky!" Lei moved from the bed as Winky appeared, "Fill the bath with ice and change the bed linen please." Winky snapped her fingers and the bath filled with ice and cold water.

Before Lei could levitate Damon to the bath, Klaus picked him up and carried him. Damon tried to open his eyes but was too weak, he was delirious from the fever. Damon thought he was dreaming when heard Lei's voice but then he felt himself being carried. His body went into shock as he was slowly lowered into the ice water, "Ahh, haa, cold. Hmph." Damon was shivering even harder from the sudden drop in temperature. Lei wandlessly transfigured her pants into shorts and stepped into the bath, hovering over Damon, "I'm sorry, Damon, but I need to dunk you for a few seconds. Your fever is too high." All the response she got was a whine that sounded more canine than human. Lei carefully dunked him under then released him.

Klaus heard it too, "He's almost through this, isn't he?" Fenrir came into the room at this point. He was already on the way over when Winky informed him of Damon's ice bath. "A few more days tops. Then he'll shift for the first time to settle the Lycanthropy," Fenrir handed Klaus a potion, "Nutritional potion." The Original Hybrid has become not so paranoid around the wand wielders. They have not shown any indication of hurting him or his brother.

Klaus sat on the outside of the bath above Damon's head. Lei held Damon's shoulders down for a few seconds then let go. Damon resurfaced with a loud gasp, his body shivering uncontrollably. A potion was uncorked and poured into his mouth, "Drink, Damon. You need it." He heard Klaus say above his head. Damon did his best to swallow all of it, he gagged at the taste but kept it down. Leilani levitated Damon out of the bath onto the freshly made bed after using a drying charm. Damon rolled back onto his left side and closed his eyes. He is hoping to sleep through everything.

He slept through the next two days; on the sixth day everything came to a head. He woke up alone and in pain. Damon curled himself into a tight ball, and whined thinking his mates had left him when they were only downstairs. Klaus heard Damon's whines, grabbed Lei and whooshed her into Damon's room. They climbed onto his bed, "We're here. We're here." Klaus sat against the headboard while Lei laid in front of Damon, stroking his face, "We haven't left, just finishing breakfast."

Damon was going to speak when all that came out of his mouth was a scream in pain as his bones began to break. Klaus scooted closer to hold onto Damon, "Don't fight it, love." Damon tried not to focus on the pain. Lei was still stroking his cheek. She felt and heard his facial bones shatter. Her eyes widened, shedding tears, "Don't fight it. If you fight against the pain your transformation will take longer." Damon opened his eyes. His beautiful blue eyes were replaced with Lycan Amber.