Chapter XXV: A Mother's Greatest Fear

It's like three am right now and I'm lying in bed. My stomach has been killing me ever since I laid down and it won't stop. I stand up to go to the bathroom, and right as I take a step, something runs down my leg: it feels like I peed myself, but I know for a fact I didn't. My fucking water just broke.

"Oh, fuck." I whisper to myself. I grab a fresh towel from the linen closet and run the shower water. I need to clean and shave myself before I spread my legs later and I'd rather not look like a Sasquatch while giving birth.
*bro did you guys know that a Sasquatch is literally bigfoot??????? Like I just found out!*

◷...✍︎︎...◷

I walk back into the room, and Sin's up.

"Why're you showering so late?" he groans.

"My water broke. The puddle's right there," I point.

"What?! Why are you loligagging?! We need to get to the hosp-"

"Shh, it's fine. I haven't gotten any of those contractions yet either so it'll be fine. After I get dressed, we can go."

I walk over to my dresser and grab a noodle strap. I put it on, but I don't pull it all the way down to my belly. I stop it right above. Then, I slip on a pair of Sin's basketball shorts along with my slippers. I pull my hair back and grab my glasses.

"Okay. I'm ready!" I shout in the bathroom. Sin went to shower and brush his teeth.

He runs out and grabs the bag then we take the elevator to the first floor.

◷...✍︎︎...◷

On the way here, I called everyone and Ma and Luna were here before we were. Now, I'm laying down (in excruciating pain), pushing. My ears are ringing and I can tell that one of their heads are barely out.

"Come on, baby; keep pushing, you're almost done with one." Sincere says as he squeezes my hand.

I take multiple deep breaths then give another push.

"You're almost there! One more push, Malia!" the doctor says, excitedly.

One more push and our baby girl's head is out. The doctor checks her then puts her onto my chest. I though I'd get a break, but no. I can feel our son getting ready to crawl out of me.

"O-oh! The boy's coming now." the doctor let's us know. Sincere takes our daughter and holds her closely then grabs my hand again.

This time wasn't so bad; almost like he slipped right out. But the doctor says something as she's checking him that makes me stop breathing:

"He's not breathing... his heart isn't beating."

Everyone around me starts to stare with worried eyes as three doctors try to reopen my son's throat. Everything's moving in slo-mo.

"Please. Sin..." I whisper.

He touches my hand but it looks like he's barely able to keep himself together.

"Is- please, my boy." I cry.

The doctor turns around with my son in her arms, tears running down her cheek.

"No..." I whisper through a cry.

She walks over and places him on my chest as I cry more. But I soon stop as I feel his tiny breaths against my neck.

"He's okay." she smiles.

"Thank fucking God!" Sincere shouts. The babies start to cry from his loud voice. "Aww, I'm sorry, Zadie." Sincere says to our daughter.

"Shh, Zain. It's okay." I rub our son's tiny head.

Zadie means prosperous and Zain means excellent and happy. We named them after the traits we hope for them to inherit.

Zadie Adira Reed. Prosperous, noble.
Zain Arlo Reed. Benevolent, accomplishing.