14| danger

•Matteo Rossi•

The bright lights of my hospital room almost blinded me for a few seconds as I woke up. I heard a faint beeping sound as I saw someone tower over me. My vision was too blurry to distinguish who. I wanted to flinch at the sudden movements but I felt as if my body was stiff, trapped under something and not able to move.

I started panicking as I didn't know why I was unable to move. The beeping sound sped up quickly as I felt my heart racing. There were now multiple people I could see but I couldn't see who they were. I felt something poke me in the arm and with that, I blacked out once again.

•••••

I woke up once again, this time in a more upright position. I blinked a few times before my vision focused. I saw Lia sitting on a chair next to the bed, crocheting something, her foot tapping against the floor. She's on my right side, and it is my left one that is injured.

I tap her shoulder to get her attention and she flinches, but turns around. Her eyes widened but she quickly smiled. "You're awake!" she exclaimed happily and almost threw herself on top of me, pulling me into a hug.

I chuckled, wrapping an arm around her before she let go and settled back into her seat. "What happened to me?" I asked, not fully being able to remember what happened before I blacked out.

"You got shot in the arm and that fractured it because of the impact of the bullet, even though the bullet didn't hit the bone. But what really fucked up your arm is when you carried Aless down with a fractured arm so now it's broken. You're going to be wearing a cast for six weeks. And since no one was taking care of your injury, you were losing a lot of blood." she explains. I groan. I have a few missions coming up and a broken arm is going to fuck everything up, meaning I'll have to send someone in my place. And I hate doing that.

"What happened to Aless?" I ask, worried since he got shot in a riskier place, and his injuries are mostly likely worse.

She sighs. "Dr. Moretti says he will be fine. He's already out of surgery, he should be out of here in a week. But he won't be able to do any serious work for about a month." she explains. I start to stand, but quickly realize there are a ton of wires on me. I start to take them off but Lia quickly stops me. "What do you think you are doing?"

"A broken arm and some blood loss is not going to stop me from anything, Lia Emma. I'm going to go see Alessandro." I explain as she tries to get me to lay back down on the hospital bed. That is when I realize that we are not in the medical building inside my estate. "Where the fuck are we?" I ask.

"A hospital. The one you own." She explains, understanding my frustrations.

"Which one, Lia?" I ask once again. Dr. Moretti is my most trusted doctor so he can go between hospitals and medicals whenever he'd like. His presence does not hint towards anything.

Someone knocks on the door as I notice the machines started beeping. This is going to be a long six weeks. Lia scolds me as I sit on the bed and she goes to open the door. A nurse walks in, immediately bowing to Lia and I as a sign of respect before coming closer. "Buongiorno, Don, Signorina Rossi. I am Nurse Bianchi. I was sent to check in by Dr. Moretti. He says he would expect you to try to leave before we had approved it, so when I heard the machines I made my way over. Is everything okay?" She asks.

"Sì." I reply quickly. "I just wish to see and speak to my brother. Is he awake now?"

"Yes, Capo. He woke up around half an hour ago. However because of your blood loss, you maybe prone to dizzy spells and even possibly fainting so I recommend you either eat some food before you start walking around, or we can bring in a wheelchair and either I, another nurse, or Signorina Rossi can take you to Signore Alessandro's assigned room." She offers. One of those sounds okay and the other sounds completely fucking embarrassing. I will never let anyone see me in a wheelchair let alone push me around in one.