30| secrets

•Matteo Rossi•

"Hi sweetheart," I said as Aria opened the door to her apartment, letting me in. In my hand was a bouquet of tulips. I take one from every bouquet I give her and when it starts to die, it's a signal that hers are dying as well, which means that it's time to get her a new one.
She smiled, that gorgeous smile that I have become addicted to in the time I've known her. "Hi." She said sweetly, taking the flowers in one hand, and my hand in the other, pulling me into the apartment. "How do you even get these flowers? They aren't in season anymore." She says. Of course she would know. When she finds something she likes, she'll spend her time getting to know it, appreciate it. Thankfully, she likes me.
"That's a secret, melodia," I tell her, bending down to place a quick kiss on her lips. She rolls her eyes, but I don't fail to notice the little smile that she is so bad at hiding.
And it was never much of a secret. I had been asking Sofia if I could use her greenhouse for tulips, although thankfully she already had some. Aria's greenhouse that I am having built at my estate will be ready in about a week. She doesn't know yet, but I wanted to surprise her.
"Anyways, are you ready for tomorrow?" I ask her. We are flying out to France tomorrow afternoon after I pick her up from work. I am excited to take her and I know she is excited to go since she has not been to France since she lived there. We will not be spending much time there, however I do hope she enjoys the time we have.
She nods, "Yes. I packed earlier today. I bought dress when I went shopping with Sofia last weekend, and I have all my makeup packed." she explains excitedly. I smile at her and lean in to kiss her again.
"You're gorgeous, melodia." I say, staring right into those light brown eyes that never fail to reel me in, and keep me locked up. Even if I weren't, I don't think I would ever want to leave.
Her face flushes with a pink color and she smiles. "Thank you." she mumbles, looking away shyly. She has changed and opened up so much in this small amount of time, and it is almost endearing the way that even maybe two weeks ago, she would have rolled her eyes and ignored me if I had said that. She still smacks my hand away when I go to touch her sometimes, not in a mean way or that I have crossed a boundary, maybe even just a hug is rejected, but it is simply the way she is. Physical touch is something she can appreciate when she wants to but it is not in the list of her favorite things in the world.
           Aria placed the flowers in her favorite vase, filling the bottom portion with water. When she was done, we ate dinner together in a comfortable silence, my head rested on her shoulder which was as much physical touch as she allowed me in the moment. With her, I will take all that I can get, but I will never push a boundary.
           We go to her room, both of us taking turns to shower, then changing into pajamas.
           "Can we wear the matching ones?" Aria asks me. She had bought us some matching pajamas a few days ago and thinks they're so cute. But I think I look ridiculous. Absolutely and utterly ridiculous.
           With pink and white plaid pajama pants, I look stupid. "Melodia," I groan out, "Please no, I look ridiculous." I say. Her pout is making me regret saying anything.
           "Please, Matteo." she says, her eyes wide and pleading. She was tugging on my shirt as we both stood in her closet, wearing white shirts, underwear, and nothing else. "Please?" She pleads nice more, reaching up to place a kiss on my cheek.
           I let out a sigh. How can I say no to her? I can't. "Yes, melodia." I say, pulling out the pants from where they hung on the bar. Her smile made it all worth it.
As we are walking out of the closet, my phone starts ringing. I pick it up to check the caller ID only for it to be Luca DeMarco. "I will be right back, I have to take this." I say to Aria. She looks at me confused but nods. I usually never leave the room when I need to take a call, but Luca is a loud talked and only involved in the mafia. "What do you want, Luca?" I ask him, answering the call.
"We haven't had a meeting in a while. All of the DeMarco have some questions for you. Simply mafia business." he says, his voice oddly hoarse.
"Well I am only available tomorrow between 12:00 and 13:00, I leave for France sometime after 18:00." I tell him. I will not make much time for them, so they will have to deal with what I can give them.
He sighs, and I hear him talking to someone else. "Yes, that will work." He replies, and hangs up. I haven't spoken to the DeMarco in a while. I am just surprised they have not gotten into any trouble recently. They haven't stolen any shipments, threatened anyone. It's weird to think about.
I go back to Aria who is laying in bed, clutching her stuffed bear to her chest. I lay next to her and as she feels the bed moving, she turns, facing me and resting her head on my shoulder. "Goodnight." she mumbles, placing a kiss on my shoulder, then laying on it, closing her eyes.
"Goodnight sweetheart." I say, leaning down and kissing her head.
She falls asleep quickly, but I can't seem to. I keep thinking of the DeMarco. I have not spoken to them in a while.
They suddenly were no where to be found the night of the masquerade when Andrej was shot at, they were the ones that found the body of the man that died the day that Aless and I were attacked in a meeting, when my arm was broken, they were the ones that found papà almost dead that day by the shopping center, and they also just happened to be in the Pecora building when we were hacked. But they have not been causing any trouble, and anyone could have stumbled upon the body of the man and papà. The day of the masquerade, they had alibi's and someone to support that.
There is no way they are involved with La Prossima Generazione. Especially not with Andrej with whatever he is planning against me. They have always hated Andrej, and talked horrible things about him. They would hate working with him. And they would risk way too much. If they were discovered to be traitors, they would lose everything and they love the money and power way too much.