32| unwanted

•Aria Marino•

I had never been more upset that I had to go home. France was beautiful, the event was fun. The house was amazing. If I could, I would have stayed over there for at least another week, but I have work tomorrow and I really can't miss any more days. I already missed three days in the few months that I have been here.
The plane ride here was full of Sofia and I laughing while having random conversation. Aless was always by her side. He was normally clingy, but now that she is pregnant, he has not left her even one moment.
          It was so sweet and it's so clear how in love with her he is.
          Now I am regretting being so close with my sister that when I move countries, she moves with me. Because why is she waking me up at five thirty in the morning to banging on my bedroom door. And I know it is her because she is saying my name.
          "Aria seriously dude get up!" she said through the door. "I have to show you something," she whined, knocking even more.
          I groaned and threw the blankets off of me, putting on my favorite pair of slippers that I always keep by my bed and make my way to the door, slowly to keep her waiting.
          "What do you want?" I groaned as I opened the door, my vision still blurry. But before she even said anything, she showed me her phone. Her screen brighter than it needs to be, making me look away and rub my eyes.
         "Sorry," she mumbles, flipping it back around and lowering the brightness. "Aurora woke up like thirty minutes ago to get ready for work, but she sent me this through Instagram." she says, now showing me her screen at an actual visible level.
On it, is a video of me. Not only from last nights event, but pictures from the article that had been posted about Matteo and I's first date. I groan and let my head fall forward. "Why would they do that?" I ask out loud, reaching out to grab the phone.
"Look, I might not see the attraction, but every girl who is single in Italy thinks your boyfriend is hot. They like every post he is in and they dream of being with him. Also, money talks and he has a lot of it," she tells me as I scroll through the posts sent by my cousin. I don't open the comments of any of them to avoid seeing anyone's opinions about me.
           But I also can't help but asking her about it. "Are people calling me names or anything?" I ask her hesitantly. I want to know but I also know I won't react well if it's bad.
         "No. People are loving you, actually." she begins, taking the phone back from me and scrolling down to look for something. "Look, this is my favorite comment." she says, pointing one out in particular.

He is no longer Matteo Rossi, he will now only be referred to as Aria's boyfriend

It made me laugh a little before I realized something. "How did they get my name?" I asked in a low whisper, trying to think about it. They probably had a list of people that attended the event or something.
"Aria, people are freaking stalkers nowadays," she says as I scroll through the comments. My favorite was one that came from a girl who said: new crush??
She put a few heart eye emojis too and the comment itself had a few thousand likes. I like that people don't hate me, but I also don't want my face plastered on peoples Instagram home pages. "Also, your job is public information. I doubt that they had any trouble finding you once they got your name." she reminded me and I nodded mindlessly. I hope I get fired for this honestly. I don't like the job much anyways, but if I quit then I'll disappoint everyone, so if I get fired I have a reason for it and then I can find another job. However that may be difficult.
She let me go back to bed but I couldn't sleep. I had a nightmare, but it wasn't as bad as they usually are so it wasn't the nightmare that was bothering me. I couldn't figure out what it was, so I stayed in bed doing absolutely nothing.

•••••

"Absolutely not," Annachiara says in response to my totally not innocent but innocently asked questions of whether I could get in any trouble for the publicity that has been recently popping up due to my relationship. "It's not ideal, but all it means is no undercover work, no revealing too much information about yourself because of the nature of our work, and pretty much just being careful. Actually, I heard that Romano and Esposito are good friends with Matteo himself, so if the president and prime minister themselves have no problems with it, I don't see why anyone else would." she says casually.
Of course he fucking is. Why am I not surprised at this point? "You're joking," I said, groaning afterwards. Of freaking course. Mr. Freaking-Rich-Guy who I also really like a lot is friends with the prime minister and president. I would cry if we weren't dating right now because that would be a horrible mistake, but the things that have been happening since we began dating have also made me want to cry. And I have cried in front of him already which was a huge step for me.
I will just ask Sofia. She is probably used to it by now since her and Aless have been married for a few years now. She also gives annoyingly amazing advice.
           "Funnily enough, I am not joking. They have been seen at multiple restaurants together I believe." she says, a hand on my arm in a comforting way but her words did not comfort me in any way. Then I thought back to that restaurant I saw him in, months ago, before we even began dating. That might have been who he was with. "But anyways, how are you guys?" she asks curiously, a huge smile creeping onto her face.
           I chuckle at her excitement, "We are doing good," I begin, that same smile making its way onto my face. "He's just so sweet, and so amazing, and just overall so.." I trail off, not even being able to think of the word. There is no way to describe something. It's like when I look at him, if people were to ask me why I like him, what I see in him, I wouldn't be able to tell them, I don't know how to describe it. I don't think there is a word for it.
          She laughs, "Damn. You fell hard." she jokes, wrapping an arm around my shoulders as we walk into her office. I laugh too and we work on our case for the next few hours of the day.
          I took a small break to each something, and while I was doing so, I got a call from Matteo.
          "Hello?" I answered the phone as I always do.
          "Hi melodia. How has your day been going?" he asks me sweetly, making me smile.
            I look up from my food to see Annachiara making funny kissing faces and sounds as well as making a goofy smile to mock me. I laugh before replying, "It's been decent at best. Not the best, but it has not been completely horrible. How about yours?" I ask him.
           "Pretty bad, but knowing I'll be seeing you later gives me something to look forward to," he says, and I can tell he has a slight smirk on his face right now. I laugh, trying to chew my food.
          "Oh, yes. What time should I be over there?" I ask him
          I can hear him sigh, "Around 19:30, melodia. I will have a driver go pick you up," he says. I nod, even though he is not in front of me. That should give me enough time. (7:30)
          We finish the conversation before we both have to go back to work.