15| surrender

•Aria Marino•

I wanted to start sobbing as I placed the file on my desk again. Flora is still upset with me for who knows what reason and now we've been asked to completely drop the mafia case. Apparently Annachiara and the rest of the team have been working on it for about 7 years at this point and have nothing much. It is also not believed that they are tied to the robberies, which I honestly never believed anyways.

My mother called this morning, just to yell at me and complain about my father. Also reminding me that Luca is her favorite person and he's her only reason for living.

"Why do we have to drop it?" I asked Annachiara.

"We have barely any evidence or information, we've already been at it for almost a decade, and we have no other help." She replies, running a hand through her hair.

"What do you mean we have no help?" I ask her.

"All smaller police departments are on the don's payroll so they are on his side. Even the public, he is so rich they are supplied with food banks and schools and things they need, and even though he is still a disgusting criminal and murderer, they are on his side because he still helps the people, But trust me for every good thing he does, there are three dead bodies on someone's doorstep and a few million dollars missing from someone's bank account." She explains angrily before walking away.

I look around to realize we all look very stressed, tired, and in desperate need of caffeine. I grab my car keys and make my way out.

•••••

When I get back with two coffee holders in hand, the girls and Doriano smile while Ermes audibly gasps. "Thank you Aria." Aurora says sweetly as she takes the coffee and gives me a cheek to cheek kiss.

"I could fucking kiss you right now! Holy shit thanks." Ermes exclaims, walking up to us.

"Touch me and die." I reply, glaring at him as I set the rest of the coffee down on the table. He rolls his eyes and mumbles something before walking back towards his desk. Flora comes up and grumpily takes a coffee, quickly walking back away.

I seriously don't know why she's still so upset with me. I understand that she was upset because Annachiara believed I was right with the mafia not being involved in the string of robberies, but it's been days since then, and also I never did anything to her. I've just been ignoring her because if she's just going to be giving me that attitude when I did nothing directly to her then she's not worth my time or energy.

I take my coffee and set it down on the counter, looking at my watch to count down the hours, minutes, and seconds until I get to go home.

•••••

"I'm home!" I sang as I walked through the door of the apartment, setting my bag and coat down on the kitchen counter.

Laura came out of her room in plaid pajama pants and a black t-shirt. "Okay so don't get mad but-"

"What did you do?" I ask quickly, automatically assuming the weirdest shit. Please let it not be that she dyed her hair again and stained the entire bathroom wall.

"Okay! See this is why I have to start with 'Don't get mad' because you just need to remain calm. So just come here and I will show you what I did and explain to you why I did it." She says in a very defense manner, leading me to her room.

I sigh and walk towards her room, as always clothes everywhere, the only source of light in there are her LED lights she's had for five years. In the middle of her messy bed is a small figure that I can't seem to make out.