40| meet the love of your life

•Aria Marino•

            After we get back to the house from dinner, I feel absolutely exhausted. I feel like I ate so much I'm about to explode. But the food was so good, it was basically inevitable, and Matteo kept feeding me more and took us to get gelato after.
Matteo already headed upstairs to get ready for bed, but Lia Emma texted me and asked if she could come over because she needed to talk to me.
I of course said yes. We already have such a great friendship, and of course I will take any opportunity to talk with my boyfriends little sister. She knocks on the door, so I open it to see her looking nervous.
"What's wrong?" I ask her, basically pulling her into the house and closing the door.
"I'm really scared, Ria." she says, her eyes swelling with tears as she tackles me into a hug, holding me tight against her.
I hold her as she cries and I pull her onto the couch so we can talk. "Why? What happened?" I ask worriedly.
"I might be pregnant," she starts hesitantly, her hand never leaving my arm. "But Rafael and I talked about this before we even got engaged and we said we would wait until we were married. We just barely got engaged." she sobs onto my arm.
I sigh, rubbing her back up and down, "Is it his reaction that you're scared for? Has he ever given you a reason to think he might react badly?" I ask her hesitantly but they are questions that need to be asked.
"No, never. He's so sweet and so amazing. But I don't know if I would be a good mom, Ria. I'm so scared. The closest I have ever been to a child is Vittoria and I'm pretty sure she likes you and Laura more than she likes me. What if my baby doesn't even like me?" she asks frantically, almost freaking herself out even more. But I know that wouldn't be possible. And I know she would be an amazing mother.
I shake my head. "You have such a huge, beautiful heart, you would be such an amazing mother. Your baby would love you. And so maybe things didn't go as planned, they don't most of the time. But you said it yourself, Rafael has never given you any indication he would have a bad reaction. No matter what happens, whether you're pregnant or not, you have an amazing person who loves you by your side through it all." I tell her, trying to comfort her through this.
"What if Aless gets mad again?" she asks softly, almost to herself. Her and Aless are like best friends and I could tell that the one thing  that bothered her was the thought of disappointing him and him being upset with her.
I smooth out her hair, "We have proven that his anger cannot stop you and Rafael from loving each other. And even if he is mad, you have someone that stood in front of a room full of people who told him that he was doing something bad and told them that he did not care because all that mattered was that he loves you. And can you just imagine how excited Aless would be? Even if he is mad in the beginning, imagine him playing with his niece or nephew and being so excited. He can play mad all he wants but you know he won't be."
She nods, sniffling softly, wiping the tears away from her face. She sighs, "Okay, okay. You're right." She says, taking deep breaths to stop the crying at a quicker pace. She takes something out of her pocket. "Can I take it here?" she asks and I notice it is a pregnancy test.
"Of course," I say, leading her to the nearest bathroom and standing outside while she does her business.
She lets me into the bathroom when she is done. I notice the timer on her phone is now at less than a minute. "Can you flip it over and tell me what it says?" she asks. I can tell she is extremely nervous for what is happening.
I nod, grabbing the test when the timer goes off. I flip it over and my jaw drops at the results. "You're pregnant." I tell her. There's no other way to say it really.
"Really?" she asks, a small pitch in her voice making her sound excited. I nod and we both begin screaming and jumping as we hug.
"Are you guys okay?" we hear Matteo, then he walks into the room. We both turn to look at him, the positive pregnancy test sitting on the counter.
He looks at me, eyes wide and jaw slightly dropped. "Not me," I say, making his expression falter. He genuinely looked disappointed that it's not me that is pregnant.
"We will talk about that later," he says to me, his tone silly, making me giggle, then he looks over to Lia Emma. "You're pregnant?" he asks her and she nods. "Does Rafi know?" he asks.
"No. I just took the test right now." she says, then hugs him.
We all talk for a while, then Matteo and I walk Lia to her house that she is staying in as it is now dark outside.
I can tell Matteo is genuinely happy and excited for Lia and Rafi, but I know for a fact that as soon as we get back to our house, he is going to bring up the 'It's not me that is pregnant' thing.
And I am proven right as right when we lay down in bed, he pulls me to him, then asks, "No baby?" his very warm hand placed on my stomach.
"I am still on birth control," I remind him. He groaned, wrapping both arms around me.
           "Look, I am not going to say that when we have sex, I go into it with the intention of getting you pregnant. Because that's not exactly right, but I am saying that if any of these days you told me you were pregnant, I would be excited and very happy." he says defensively, holding me to him and peppering kisses along my neck and shoulder.
            I giggle at his excitement. I know he really wants a baby and I really want one too, but we have a long way to go until we get to that point. At least I think so.
              "Don't you think we should be married first?" I ask him.
             "You have rejected my proposals multiple times now," he accuses jokingly, making me gasp.
            I smack his arm lightly, "When have you ever proposed?" I ask him, making him gasp the same way I just did.
            "Every time you look at me and you're like 'Hey honey how was your day' even though we spent the entirety of it together and I look at you and ask you to marry me," he explains, making his voice more high pitched when he tried to imitate me asking him how his day was. I know exactly what day he's talking about too.
           I laugh at his explanation, "I thought you were joking!" I say defensively through giggles as I try to calm down.
           "No I wasn't joking. Well," he pauses, "not really but to some extent. So are you saying that if I got off the bed right now, pulled out a ring and got on one knee, you would say no?" he asks.
            I laugh, "No that is not what I am saying. And don't even try to get up off the bed right now and propose," I say as I feel him start to move around.
            He sighs and stops moving, "You know me a bit too well, melodia mia. But do not worry, I will have a ring ready by tomorrow night." he states, a full confidence in his voice that makes me admire him a tad bit more.
           "Can we just go to sleep without one of us threatening the other with rings and marriage and babies?" I ask jokingly, making him laugh.
           "Well there would be no need for threats if there was a baby," he says.
           I look up at him, "I would get you pregnant if I could," I tell him, making him crack up laughing, his entire body moving with it as I do the same.
           "Never say never, you can do anything if you put your mind to it," he says automatically, making us both absolutely lose our minds in laughter. Almost as if he has a list of inspirational quotes that are in every American household on the ready in his mind.
           We both start laughing so hard, I am smacking his arm as we can barely breathe from laughing. "Oh my gosh!" I exclaim through laughter. "Go to sleep!" I tell him.
            After we finally settle down, he says, "Buonanotte, melodia mia,". (Goodnight, my melody.)
            "Buonanotte, amore mio," I reply, making him snuggle even closer to me. (Goodnight my love)