9| adjusting

•Aria Marino•

I never thought I liked this job even this much but that's just another example of how moving to Italy just improved my life. This job is long, good hours, even more money than I was making with the FBI, and some extremely nice people.

We have my unit chief, Annachiara Airò, who is so sweet but tough when she needs to be. Flora and Aurora who are so kind and were so welcoming when I first came in. Aurora is kind of tech work and field work, but she mostly stays doing tech. Then we have Ermes and Doriano, both of them are very much like brothers to the rest of us. Always bickering but also sweet.

We've worked three cases in the month that I have been here which is similar to what I used to do, so overall coming to work here was an amazing decision. Just not on the parental front.

It's currently 6 am over here which is around 9 pm over there I believe. We're on call and my mother is telling me that she still doesn't like that I moved here but then she kicks it up a notch.

"I'm so disappointed in you Aria. We worked so hard to get you where you are today, and all the shit that you put yourself through we still worked to push you and now you move away from us? It doesn't matter how good of a job you have, you'll always be a fucking disappointment to me for pulling this shit". That one hit me hard. Harder than I care to admit. I try not to let shit my mom says get to me, but how am I supposed to do that now?

I hang up on her and set the phone down. I bite back tears. "'And all that shit you put yourself through'"? I questioned. She was still blaming me for everything that happened. At some point for years I thought that it was my fault I got raped. I mean I trusted him, dated him for a long time only to find out what kind of person he was but after a while I realized that it couldn't have been my fault. But my mother just will not let it go, still blaming me for that, not liking anything I do no matter what it is, still blaming me for losing the baby. And I just can't handle it anymore.

But I can't be thinking about that right now because I have to get ready to go to work. It takes me about an hour to get ready and in that time, my mother was blowing up my phone. Calling and texting from her, my father, and Luca. Telling me to call her back and telling me that she wasn't done and she still had more to say, but I'm done right now.

And after work today, Flora, Aurora, and I are going to a club to celebrate my one month working here. Annachiara can't go, but she said she's going with us next time whenever that will be.

I cook some food and leave Laura a note for when she wakes up. She started a job around two weeks ago and she seems to really love it. She wants to become a tattoo artist and of course I am going to support her, and tomorrow we are going motorcycle shopping since she had to sell the one she had in the states, but with that money, she will buy one here.

Anyways, I arrive at work just on time and go into the office, Flora already waiting for me. "Good morning sunshine!" she says enthusiastically. I groan and take a sip of the coffee that I picked up on the way over here. "That's the spirit." she says sarcastically.

"Well I try." I reply in the same tone as her. We walk together to our desks as we wait for everyone to arrive. And as always, Ermes is late and the last one to arrive.

"Again Ermes?" Annachiara scolds hun for the third day in a row.

"It takes time to look this good." He replies dryly and sarcastically as we all sit down together in the conference room.

Annachiara rolls her eyes. "Anyways. None of you have turned in your reports for this last case we did." She reprimands all of us. Okay but like I'm pretty much done with mine so it's fine.