Chapter 1

If there's anything in her life that Eugene is extremely desperate for, it's sleep. The female has pulled up an all-nighter for the past few days just to polish her assignment to the fullest.

She wants her visual material, a.k.a. The poster that she's currently holding in her hands, to be good enough for her future internships. So the female thought, why not kill two birds with a stone?

But in return, I look like a zombie. She sighs as she walks rather slowly to her class. Her body feels heavier than usual, she has the huge urge to really just lie down on the concrete floor and close her eyes a little bit.

At that point, she just wants to take a power nap.

As if the Gods are being cruel to her, the days have been rainy for a while now. The cloudy and grey skies encourage her even further to just not do anything and get under her blankets for a comfy nap, stripping all of her motivation to be productive.

Ugh, I just need to submit this. Eugene looks at the poster again, but a smile soon forms on her lips after she admires the beauty of her creation. Her hard work and effort clearly paid off, and she can't wait for her material to be approved by her mentor.

And after this, I will go straight back to my room and sleep the night away. Eugene decides to put her thoughts about sleeping away and quicken her pace as she walks through the path outdoors. She tries to cover her poster to prevent the wind from blowing the rain in her direction.

"God. I shouldn't have taken the middle route." Eugene grumbles under her breath, contemplating taking the longer route but with full protection from the outdoor weather. She thought the roof of the current outdoor path would be enough but no—the wind decided to be a bitch today.

Ugh. Let's just get over it. She then increases her pace as she struggles to see due to her hair being blown to her face. With her vision lowkey disrupted, Eugene now, truly, regretted taking this route.

And before she thought that she could put the regrets away temporarily and suck it up, she felt a huge impact hitting her shoulders, making her drop everything to the ground.

"Ack!" She groans in distress, feeling slightly hurt by the impact.

She looks up to see the person who bumps into her—but she only finds herself speechless upon the view of his side profile.

"Sorry!" He says shortly and doesn't even spare a glance at the poor girl, instead, continuing to run extremely fast to the main university area.

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT? Eugene still sits on the ground in horror, finally, gaining her senses again after processing the event. The person who bumped into her did not look like a person.

His face was pixelated.

Is this what sleep deprivation does to you??? Eugene questions herself in her mind, still, unable to have any scientific explanation as to what she has just witnessed. Did she play too much video games that she started imagining them in real life?

Just like that one point where I thought the Commonwealth Bank logo was a Geoculus... she shakes her head in amusement and concludes that the pixelated face was probably caused by her lack of sleep.

"Right, I should submit my poster quickly to regain my slee—." Just when she thought she could regain her positivity, her eyes widened in horror to see her poster lying in the grass area, unprotected by the roof.

Desperate numbers of 'no's keep on escaping her mouth as she grabs her poster in desperation, running a detailed yet quick check on it.

Thankfully the contents are fine, but there are obvious, color stains due to the rain. Despite using thick paper, no matter the amount of water, her colors will definitely be smudged.

Are you kidding me. Her head turns back to the area where the pixelated guy went to. She grips on her poster tighter as she tries to compose herself. The only thing she can do for now is literally hoping that her mentor will just excuse her incident.

>>>

I knew it. A sigh escapes her lips as she makes her way back to the dormitory. Eugene tries to explain the situation to her mentor that causes her poster to stain, but as much as she tries, the visual aspect is still clearly part of the marking rubric.

And being the objective person her mentor is, he apologized for having to lower her score by a little bit.

He'll probably only reduce 1 point. I shouldn't be stressing out about this. She massages her temples at the thought. Since she is taking the psychology major as her university subject, the people—including her mentor—should be understanding enough to not reduce more than 1 point, right?

Yeah, I trust in him. He should understand that the situation was out of my control. Eugene tries her best to convince herself. Even her mentor noticed her unwell face, her dark circles looking more apparent than usual.

"If he notices that and wishes me to rest properly instead of putting too much hard work on the assignment, he should be understanding enough to give me some leeway," Eugene mutters to herself as she finally reaches her room. Funny how this girl, a psych student herself, knows how bad it is to overthink.

Just as she inserts her key to open her door, the door next to her also opens, revealing the refreshing figure that always, indirectly, cheers her up.

"Oh, Jake!" Eugene waves at the boy, smiling.

"Hey, Eugene." He pops his head out, tilting it to the side cutely. "Oh my, you look like you haven't slept for a whole century."

"Yeah—about that..." She embarrassingly ruffles her hair, thinking that her current state is probably not the best view for her crush—uh, neighbor.

"I'm just about to buy some groceries in the mart below. Is there anything you want?"

See, this is something that made the girl fall for Jake. It doesn't have to be something extravagant, but it's his thoughts and the little gestures that he does for her that make her heart melt.

And the good news is; that man is single asf.

To all of the people in the world, you truly have missed a gem. She sighs in amusement, secretly thanking that half of the population is dumb enough to pass up on The Jake Sim.

"Can you get me some ice cream then?"

"Sure!" He cheerfully replies while he proceeds to lock his door. "Cookies and cream as usual yeah?"

Eugene nods, while her internal side fangirls at the fact that he remembers her favorite flavor. Not like it was the first time he bought her ice cream, but she never thought that he would be bothered to memorize it when she was just another neighbor to him.  

----------

Author's Note: Well hello there :> The Felix soulmate AU fic is finally here! 

Because it's a soulmate AU, there will always be some fantasy element in it, but trust me, it's just the pixelated face HAHAHA

Everything else will be your typical university life :D 

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter! 

- Howley