Chapter 28

"What are we, really?" Felix's deep voice comes to ask again, his eyes locked on hers, refusing to let go of her gaze. Eugene, still staring at a pixelated face, can't bear the pressure and turns to the other side of the bed in reflex to avoid the gaze.

"N-Neighbors?" She says, and her tone is uncertain, "Friends?" Her cheeks grow flush with embarrassment at the question. 

"Why are you uncertain?" Felix asks, moving even closer now and breathing onto her neck.

"I-I honestly don't know." She replies in a cracked voice, not knowing how to feel about this whole thing. 

Felix lets out a small chuckle as he speaks gently. 

"Want to try things out?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"Hm." Felix sounds a little hopeful this time, "Let me cuddle you from behind."

"I—what?" Eugene's eyes enlarge in surprise, unable to grasp the meaning behind his request.

She's uncertain as to whether this request is meant as a platonic or romantic gesture, feeling a sense of trepidation. However, she cannot deny the fact that this could define the future trajectory of their relationship, whether it leads to something more intimate or not.

Surely, the girl can sense that the friendship will take a different turn if she gives in to Felix's request. She doesn't know if she's ready for that.

Yet, she is curious. 

Eugene wonders if she wants to explore the strange emotions that have emerged between them and come to a conclusion. She cannot dismiss the possibility of discovering something new and unexpected with Felix.

"Of course, if you don't feel like it, I understand." Felix's voice breaks through her thoughts, sending a shiver down her spine.

The sensation of his breath creeping up her nape is making her both nervous and excited at the same time. Her past self would have simply turned down his request, but the one right now finds herself intrigued by his offer.

"I guess you can try..." Eugene mutters, her hands resting on her chest as she prepares herself.

Felix grins widely, his arms wrapping around her body. His face lies right behind her neck, and he can't resist the urge to smile even harder as he feels their proximity.

He sighs in relief at the consent, taking it as a sign of her willingness to explore this unfamiliar feeling with him.

"Your hair smells good Eugene. What shampoo do you use?" Felix takes a light sniff as he whispers. Eugene, who is still trying to process the way the situation has turned into, awkwardly replies in a quiet tone. "Uh... something from Body Shop."

"Hmn. You smell really good that I wish I could stay with you like this the whole day..." At this point, Felix doesn't even bother filtering his words. His honesty makes the girl blush intensely, she knows goddamn well that those words are NOTHING close to platonic compliments.

Especially not from the way he hugs me like this. Eugene shuts her eyes, not knowing how she should respond to this wave of overwhelming emotions. Her heart feels like it will explode, her breath becomes rapid, and her body heat rises steadily. Her body's response to the closeness is both frightening and enticing, and she finds herself helpless in the face of it all.

Felix is just a friend. He's just a friend! She tries her best to reaffirm her belief, but his deep voice finds its way into her thoughts once again and breaks her focus. 

He's more assertive now, and his words are tinged with a sense of intimacy.

"Would you look at me, Eugene?" He asks, his voice filled with a desire to connect with her on a deeper level. "I want to cuddle you from the front."