Chapter 41

The girl groans as she hears cluttering noises in the background, waking up from her deep slumber after a productive session the night before.

Her eyes flutter open, and much to her surprise, the first view that greets her in the early morning is her mother, packing up her suitcase.

"Mother...?" Her morning voice calls out in a deep tone. She quickly clears her throat and takes a sip of water from the night table behind her.

"Why are you up so early...?"

The mother doesn't reply, as she is focused on arranging her things in her suitcase.

And that gives Eugene a bad feeling.

Shit. Is she mad? She secretly sighs. Her mother isn't usually quiet, it's the first time that her mouth barely let any sort of ugly, depreciating and degrading words escape.

True, it doesn't make her ears bleed or torment her mental health. But the fact that this is something new, Eugene has no idea how she should be dealing with this weird... behaviour.

"I'm leaving."

Her heart stops when she hears her mother responds.

"W-Why...?" Eugene gulps, feeling the anxiety slowly creeping into her mind. Mrs. Park has stated that she will be staying over the weekend, and it is only Saturday today.

"Work urgency." Short but concise, Mrs. Park replies in a firm tone as she zips up her small suitcase.

Oh... work. For some reason, Eugene feels a huge wave of relief washes over her.

"I see. What time do you need me to send you to the station?" She gets up from her bed and starts tidying up the pillows and blanket.

"In about an hour." Mrs. Park replies and asks the most unexpected question. "Is Felix coming too?"

"F-Felix? Uh. I can ask." Eugene stutters in surprise, not understanding why her mother thinks about her partner a lot. It almost seems like Felix has won her heart or something.

Is the Felix effect real? She ponders as she sends a message to her partner. Anyone who looks at Felix's beautiful visuals, and infectious smile and hears his deep yet soothing voice, will obviously feel immense joy.

If she has to describe him in a word, that would be 'sunshine'.

And to think that I had beef with this sunshine back then. Eugene chuckles at the thought as her eyes light up when she sees Felix's instant message reply, agreeing to send her mother to the train station.

"Felix is coming." She notifies the older one.

"Okay." Even though she doesn't show much reaction, her tone seems rather... calm and positive, which is a little rare for Eugene since she's accustomed to hearing firm and hostile tones from her mother.

What did you do, Felix?

.

.

.

Eugene walks alongside Felix, whose hand is pulling on the luggage that her mother has. She can't help but feel nervous over this whole situation, not understanding why her mother seems rather attached to Felix.

And she can't tell if she's attached in a good or bad way.

"I hope your stay has been okay." Felix says as the three of them stop in front of the line, in which the train will arrive in about 3 minutes or so.

"It's alright." She doesn't speak much, but her tone doesn't seem hostile at least. At this point, Eugene is just admiring her partner's patience for her parent; the way he still smiles and speaks nicely to her isn't something that she can do all the time.