Chapter 38

"It should be... this lane. Yes."

Eugene sighs as she looks away from her phone to stare at Felix, "I'm sorry for dragging you into this."

The male shakes his head softly, his hand reaching for hers to give her some reassurance. The small action immediately makes her feel at ease despite the upcoming chaos that she must deal with.

"I'm here with you." Felix says, "If your mother ever goes overboard, I will try my best to support you the best I can."

Chuckling lightly at his words, Eugene gives a light squeeze on his hand. It was the right choice to tell Felix about one of the biggest problems that she is about to face; her mother unnecessarily coming over for a 'sleepover'.

But they both know—it is obviously NOT a sleepover or a visit. She is going to be there to monitor her because of how her daughter has been drawing her boundaries more and more.

"That's the train." Eugene's expression hardens as the vehicle comes to a stop. The said figure that they have been waiting for, comes out while dragging her small suitcase. Eugene whispers softly to Felix, 

"That's her."

The male notices how nervous she looks, and he can sense her rising anxiety as they approach the older woman. He can tell that she's feeling a bit overwhelmed by the situation, and it breaks his heart to see her so uneasy and nervous.

"Mother." She speaks, trying her best to smile despite not feeling excited at all to see her. The older one only nods at her before her attention is turned to Felix, seemingly putting on a rather surprised expression.

"Who is this... young man?"

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Park. I'm Eugene's partner, Lee Felix." The male smiles in the most charming yet polite way, giving her a bow. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

A pleasure my ass. Eugene chuckles internally, knowing well that they are in this together on the hate train against her mother. She fakes another smile at the woman, who has had a puzzled expression for a while now. 

"I know I haven't told you about our relationship, but that's because we only started dating a few days ago." The girl quickly says, trying to fill in the gaps that the mother has been looking for. 

"Right..." Surprisingly, she seems to nod in approval, which is against what the two adults have expected. They were prepared for the risk of her mother flipping out at the fact that her daughter still 'has the time to date someone' while being flooded by assignments.

But Mrs. Park is in fact, quiet.

This is weird. Eugene glances at Felix before the latter speaks in a kind manner, "Mrs. Park, if you would allow me. Is it alright if I carry the suitcase for you?"

"Sure. Thank you." She agrees without any hesitation, which stuns the daughter again. Her mother is the typical adult who doesn't like relying on others even when it comes to the smallest things, always enforcing this 'strong, independent woman' mindset into her.

But to think that she behaves rather differently in front of Felix...

I guess this is a good sign. Eugene thinks, and finds herself smiling as Felix engages in a small talk with her mom, walking just a little bit in front of her. Even though the woman isn't smiling, her expression seems rather relaxed, as if she's enjoying Felix's company.

.

.

.

The woman scans her dormitory room and then nods shortly after, "It's not as untidy as I thought it would be. Good."