Chapter 21

"Ugh..." Eugene groans, knowing that she has to get out her bed after lying down for almost an hour, scrolling over TikTok. She has been sleep-deprived for the past few days thanks to her unhelpful teammates—as expected from the rumours, they are indeed, freeloaders. 

The clock displays 10 A.M. She has promised her neighbour to meet up at 11 to go to the nearby market to buy Hyunjin some treats. 

The girl finally sits up and tidies up her bed, then goes to the toilet to prepare herself. She wouldn't normally wake up this late, especially when it's almost peak assignment deadlines. But the weight on her shoulders has been too much to bear—she wishes her teammates had the same amount of ambition as she does. 

And the only way to release all those stresses is to sleep it off and get as much rest as possible.

"Okay." She gives both of her cheeks a light slap as she starts massaging her face with her facial cleanser. "We're visiting Felix's friend today. It's a form of break. Let's enjoy it." She speaks as she looks at herself in the mirror, smiling.

Eugene decides to wear something a little soft today; a cardigan and blouse paired up with a midi skirt and low converses. Dressing up makes her feel more confident—as she can express herself. 

Just as she leaves her room and locks her door, she hears the door next to her being unlocked, revealing her neighbour in a rather, minimalist fashion. His hair is properly styled today, topped over with a beanie. 

"Oo. It's not like you wear baggy pants every day with a belt." Eugene chuckles after doing a quick scan on Felix, which the latter scoffs jokingly. "I can dress up as well if I want to, ya know?" 

"I know, just take it as a compliment, will you?" She nudges his elbow with hers, and the male giggles a little at that. 

The two then make their way to the nearest market; and since it is Saturday, the place has been swarmed with people—mainly, families. It's the kind of atmosphere where life suddenly feels relaxed and slow despite the number of people in there.

Looking at everyone smiling and having a good time gives both of them a warm feeling inside.

"... This is so wholesome," Eugene comments as her eyes wander around the families, especially the children who are often just chilling and eating the treats. Being able to witness the eyes of the children shining brightly with joy is a privilege for Eugene, since she didn't grow up having the same kind of eyes.

Felix smiles softly at the girl, "You love children?"

"Pretty much, yeah."

"So you're most likely to start a family huh? Interesting, since many people nowadays prefer childless, or not getting married at all." Felix nods in approval. 

"Well, who knows? What if no one wants to be with me? I might actually end up being independent." She laughs, shrugging her shoulders nonchalantly.

"There's no way," Felix speaks in disbelief, shaking his head in amusement. Deep inside, he admits that Eugene is definitely one of those walking green flags, even if it takes him a while to notice it too. The way she handles her problems, approaches people, and perceives life; Felix can see why people would be attracted to her easily.

They gotta be stupid if they turn a blind eye.

"If, big IF, you end up not finding anyone, you know you can always knock next door." He jokes.

Eugene lightly elbows him again, "Awh Felix, is this a proposal?" 

"You decide." Felix grins. 

"Tsk. Are you joking?" Eugene laughs, and so does Felix.