Chapter 5

That night when Eugene comes back to her studio apartment, she truly feels empty and melancholic. Her room next to her is still empty, but someone will probably move in sometime soon.

Ugh. I miss Jake. She lies down on her bed and lets out a huff. Eugene looks at her phone and sees no messages from Jake at all—no updates on his new life and whatnot. The only thing she knows of is that he has moved to a suburban area with a bunch of friends in a shared house.

And that's it.

I guess I really am nothing to him. She feels a little sad by that fact, but it's probably her fault for misinterpreting Jake's kindness. Not like Eugene has ever seen him interact with others often anyway—maybe he's also the same with others so she's nowhere near special.

Knock knock!

Eugene jolts up from her bed when she hears 2 sudden knocks coming on her door. Who in the right mind would come knocking at 9 P.M...

Dragging her lazy ass out of the bed, she covers her body up with a jacket, not wanting anyone to see her in pyjamas.

She unlocks her door and finds her one and only residential advisor on her floor, greeting her.

"Oh, Christopher. Hello." She puts on a polite smile, instantly forgetting what she was reminiscing a few moments ago. Chris is definitely one of her favourite people she has met so far at university. He's always supportive towards everyone and tries his best to fulfil the residents' needs.

"Good evening Eugene, my apologies for knocking on your door this late at night. How are you doing?" He talks in a gentle tone, making the female forget about the time. "I'm alright, how are you doing?" She asks the same question.

"Not too bad myself." He nods. "Can I have a few minutes of your time if you don't mind?"

"Yes, of course." Eugene proceeds to leave her room and follows Chris to sit on one of the sofas in the hallway. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Haha, first things first, I think it's funny that I'm asking my own resident for help when I'm the advisor here." A soft chuckle escapes his lips, "But yeah. Since you're going to be my friend's neighbour, I would like to ask for your help."

"Oh, right." It only hits her again that Jake has left the room next to hers, and since the waiting line is pretty long, it's natural that a new neighbour will move in almost instantly.

She frowns when Jake comes into her mind again, but tries her best to hide it from Chan. "Okay, in what aspect can I support your friend?"

"Right... about that." Chris shakes his head in amusement. "My friend has been behaving a little out of the ordinary lately."

Eugene nods again to signify him to continue his story.

"He said that he just encountered some sort of mystical creature and that's because—"

"She has a pixelated face?" Eugene finishes the statement for him, her face already grimacing really hard after she realises whom Chris was talking about. And the said residential advisor lights up when he hears her correctly guessing it. "Yeah! Uh—wait, how did you know? Did you witness something similar?"

"Yes but not really." The girl tries her best not to sigh after accepting the bad news from her advisor. "So what do you need help with?" She goes back to asking the same question, already showing distaste for the situation.

"Right right. Apparently, I need your help to get him settled down. It seems like he's so stressed by the university workload, but mainly because of this specimen. I have no idea what he meant, but he talked about how this creature gives him the anxiety 101% of the time that he can barely focus on his duties."

Damn you Felix. Eugene is really close to grabbing a table and throwing it straight onto Felix's face. He complains about whatever phenomenon it is but doesn't want to try to cooperate to find a solution. Eugene doesn't think she has the obligation to help Felix at all when he doesn't even want to put the slightest effort into solving this problem.

"I'll... think about it." Eugene fakes a smile, which catches Chris off-guard. He is certainly someone who's good at reading people's true emotions, and as much as Eugene gets to create a façade, it is never good enough to fool someone like Chris.

But since he's a residential advisor, he knows how to act like one and respects people's boundaries.

Chris only gets up from the sofa and smiles at the female. "Sure. If things ever get hard, do tell me. There is no pressure for you to help my friend, I only asked since you're one of the nicest residents I know." He chuckles, complimenting how Eugene has been a helpful person in general towards others.

"Oh, and your ex-neighbour, Jake, too." He adds, and Eugene nods aggressively, earning a chuckle from the man.

"Okay, he'll be here tomorrow morning to start moving in his stuff. You don't have to help him with it—I'm just letting you know. If he requests you to bring him on a tour around the dormitory, I hope I can rely on your help for that."

"All good." Eugene gives another nod, then bids goodbye to Chris after the mini discussion.

In the most, dreadful look and energy possible, Eugene walks back to her room like a madman.

Ain't no way that slenderman is going to start living next to me as my neighbour. She wants to scream and shout. And let it all out if she can, but she'll instantly get a noise complaint from that.

Eugene throws herself onto her soft bed, letting her face hit the surface. She groans loudly at the downgrade of her situation—from the nice, flower boy, to an anxious, deep-voiced slenderman. Just when she thought her university life was about to get a little depressing from the absence of her crush, she received even worse news from her advisor.

Imagine having your enemy as your neighbour. She bangs her face again onto the bed, wanting to scream at the top of her lungs.

The Lee Felix, moving in next to her, has to be a bigger stressor than all of her university workload.  

----------------

Author's Note: WELL HELLO HELLO We have a new character here yes, it's the Bang Chan :3 Also since this is located in Australia, I will obviously use his English name wahahaha

I know it's cliche but IT HAD TO BE DONE LMAO

Have a good weekend everyone!

- Howley.