Chapter 35

"Tsk. I get that a lot." Felix's laugh dies down a little, and then goes back to his calmer self as he asks, "Oh, I've been wondering. It's peak assignment week, how have you been doing?"

Even the smallest question like this makes her melt again. Felix, being attentive, gives her the butterflies in her stomach. 

She can't help but smile in contentment at him, her hands resting on her tummy to calm down her emotions.

"I've been a bit stressed, but it's manageable." She says, though, it's partly a lie because as far as it is manageable, she is nowhere feeling 'a bit' stressed. But as if Felix can read her like an open book, he reaches out for her head and pats it out of instinct.

But the reaction from Eugene isn't quite what he expects.

She flinches slightly as he reaches out his hand, leaving him to apologize and think that she felt uncomfortable from the touch.

"Ah, sorry." He immediately moves his hand away after seeing her reaction, his expression turns into a panicked one. "I should've asked first—"

"N-No! It's not that." Eugene quickly grabs his tiny hand again and places it right back on her head. A small blush creeps up to her face as she slowly releases Felix's hand, letting it rest on her teal-highlighted hair. 

"I... like it."

It is just a small gesture, yet it brings all the happy emotions to Felix. He never expects her to be this attractive, and his heart clenches even more when Eugene tries her best not to make eye contact with him. Perhaps, out of embarrassment.

"Eugene." His deep yet soft voice calls her out. His hands still gently caressing his head, giving her the familiar feeling of comfort that she has been longing for a while now. "How are things with your mother?"

Ah. The number one most uncomfortable topic.

Eugene however, appreciates the way Felix gave her the emotional support she needed that day when her mother called and made her cry. The fact that he wasn't judgmental about the whole situation and stayed with her until the very end, reminded her of Felix's beautiful character.

And it's enough to let her guard down and talk to him about it.

"I have been trying my best to draw my boundaries." She speaks, her eyes resting on the beautiful fountain in front of the bench. "It's not easy because she still tries so hard to pressure me and my grades. But at least she's respecting my personal space now."

Felix tilts his head in amusement, "Oh? Now, isn't that a character development?"

"It kinda is a decent one. Better than nothing huh?" Eugene chuckles softly, her eyes starting to close as she feels calm and comforted by her neighbor's physical touch.

She hears him sighing softly.

His touch finally leaves her after a few more seconds, grabbing her attention. She finds him staring at her with a small smile, and one hand extended to her—almost as if he wants her to hold it.

Ah. Eugene inspects it for a while, remembering how often she used to do that to him as well back then when he needed some encouragement. The girl's hand rests on top of his tiny one and is then sandwiched with another hand of his.

"Eugene." Felix says, smiling at her. "Tell me if you ever need someone to talk to. If things ever get hard, I'm here for you."

"..." Eugene stays in her spot, a little speechless from the sudden words of affirmation. It is such a sincere and loving gesture, and she can't stop smiling even though she has heard this numerous times.