Chapter 27

"... Interesting," Eugene observes the poster plastered on her dormitory's bulletin board. Apparently, it is a wholesome event where they celebrate the 'R U OK' day. 

A day when people are reminded to ask others whether they are okay. An opportunity for people to start meaningful conversations with each other to check up on how they have been doing with life. 

The residential advisors have arranged movies with free food and drinks in the communal hall, while also presenting themselves as 'listeners' if any of the residents want to talk about their concerns.

"Chris is already super busy with his double degree, and now he has to do this too?" She mutters.

"Can't imagine being him." The deep voice replies, making her jump on her place. Eugene lets out a sigh of relief as she turns to her neighbour, "God, Felix. How are you?"

"I've been well thanks to you." He replies in a soft tone, remembering the assurance she gave him not long ago. "How about you?" He asks, his head slightly tilting to the right, almost as if he is happy to see her.

"I've been surviving, yes." She lets out a chuckle with hidden pain in it. That makes Felix sigh, knowing well that she was probably referring to her strict ass mother. Yet, he decides to divert the topic elsewhere to avoid ruining the mood.

"You finished class?"

"Yeah." She shortly answers, "I'm about to return to my room, but this seems interesting. It's going to start in an hour or so, but I don't feel like grinding on my assignments. Because once I start, I can't stop."

"Well. Why don't we just chill then?" Felix asks in a soft voice. "I... have been curious about your room for a while now."

"Ah, it's nothing too special." Eugene chuckles in embarrassment, waving her hands at her neighbour. "But if you want to relax and hang out in my room, I don't mind. Time will fly quickly if we do that—I think."

"Hooh." His tone turns into that of a smug. "Are you implying that you enjoy spending time with me?"

"I-I guess there's that..." The girl can't even deny that anymore, and the only way she can reply is with a small blush spread across her face.

And since Felix can already see her expression, he can't help but smile in contentment at her reaction. I didn't know you could make that kind of expression, Eugene.

"Anyways, do you mind if I clean up my room a little bit before you come in?"

"Yes, I mind." Felix jokes, earning a glare from her. "I want to see how messy your room can be."

"Well, I guess we're not hanging out together then."

"Okay okay!" The male laughs, and she giggles at the small banter. Both then take the elevator and return to their respective rooms first to drop off some stuff and for Eugene to clean up her room a little bit.

After another 10 minutes or so, Eugene finally welcomes Felix into her room. Hers isn't as decorated as Felix's; it looks minimalist and has a lot of white and sky-blue accents in it. A couple of picture cards and art prints are pinned on her self-made bulletin board.

"Why does it look like a hospital room?" 

After making that statement, the male instantly receives a punch from the girl, making him flinch in pain. 

"Ow! I was just joking?!"

"Oh you better be, or I'll take you down with me." Eugene jokes.

"And how are you going to take me down with you huh?" Felix asks, his body leaning backwards as he crosses his arms with a smug.