Chapter 9

The air between them is silent but comfortable. Felix would've screamed and reacted so badly before this, but he's just as surprised that he's now, holding hands with the creature that he dislikes the most.

After about 3 minutes of walking, they both find themselves at the university's garden. It is peaceful, only the sound of the fountain accompanies them. No other students are here either, since many are grinding their assignments away in the library.

Eugene looks at the pixelated man, then gently pulls him down to sit on one of the benches. She then lets go of his hand and sighs.

"Sorry. I hope you aren't disgusted." She keeps her hands back to herself. "But... I just had to do it." Eugene mutters in a soft tone, talking about how Felix would've felt so weird to hold hands with her when they both clearly dislike each other.

There isn't any response from the male for a good, 20 seconds. Soon after, he starts off with a sigh, slowly turning his head to face her. "Why did you stand up for me?" He is still in disbelief, not understanding the choice that she made.

Eugene shrugs, letting out a small chuckle. "I just thought they were being rude. That's all. Besides, they act as if people with 6th senses don't exist. Sometimes there are things that the majority can't see, really." She adds her point of view.

"And I can see that your face is pixelated too. So of course, I'm going to fight for you, because we're on the same boat."

Her words make Felix feel emotional. It only hit him that even if this weird phenomenon has been going on between them, and that they aren't exactly the best of friends; Eugene, is still a person.

Someone who's definitely better than the people he hung out with earlier, too.

"I'm sorry."

"Huh?"

"I feel like I've been overreacting and mistreating you in so many ways," Felix says, his tone sounding guilty. "I shouldn't have been biased and treated you with so much hostility just because your face is... yeah."

Eugene thought the universe was ending at that moment—did the Lee Felix just apologize? She never thought this day would come; so early as well. But she knew that she should never let her hope die and thank God that she had never given up on Felix.

She's thoroughly happy to know that Felix is beyond what he has been showing so far. She has always thought and wanted to believe that all the circumstances have been affecting Felix's behavior and perception of her.

"Thank you for that." Eugene nods and speaks in a gentle tone, "It means so much to me that you realized you truly, have been mistreating me."

"Ouch. You didn't have to say that again." Felix chuckles genuinely this time, which surprises the girl—in a good way. Well, how couldn't she react that way? Especially when all he does whenever he sees her is sigh, yell, and have his whole body language screaming 'begone thot!'?

And his chuckle sounds lighter than his usual deep voice. It was... pleasant in her ears.

"I honestly don't know why you're so forgiving. I realized how hostile I've been, I would've expected you to support my classmates instead. Because they were right at the beginning; I was rude." Felix adds, the weights on his shoulders are slowly getting heavy after he reflects on his actions.

"Yes, I won't deny that you were. But they too, crossed the line. It's never funny to degrade someone, especially with mental health labels. That, was disgusting." Throughout her life, Eugene can never, ever, like someone who thinks mental health is a joke. As a student who majors in Psychology, anyone who insults someone else with labels is just a huge no.

"Right now, what matters is that you realize what you've done and make a change." She says, "People make mistakes, and we cannot simply attribute everything to the person's innate self. I've always had the tiniest hope that you're behaving this way because you're not used to the phenomenon."

"And that's okay, people react differently. I'm definitely calmer than you, but that doesn't mean your panic is invalid."

Her words are finally sinking into Felix. Literally, out of everyone that he has talked to, the girl he once disliked, turns out to be one of the most understanding people he has ever met.

Felix has always been insecure about the public's perception of him. He's used to having his feelings invalidated all the time in the past, so when people dismiss his thoughts, not listening or believing in any of his claims, he often feels the world suddenly crumbling.

It's definitely something that he has to work on yet doesn't know where to start either.

"You're pretty wise for an unknown specimen." He jokes, and Eugene laughs at it. They are both surprised but happy that they can now lower their barricades, even if not fully. But the fact that they can have a normal conversation with a few playful banters here and there, is something that they both appreciate secretly among themselves.

"Thanks, good to know." Eugene's laugh dies down as she finds herself smiling at the figure. Now that the two somehow, have bonded, she can finally propose to him to start this so-called alliance to solve the weird phenomenon.

"Okay, so we both clearly are aware that this phenomenon isn't something normal. I would like to ask for your cooperation to get this done, quickly." She speaks.

"Right, uh..." He sounds just as confused. "I've never thought of solving it honestly. My original plan was to completely ignore you and move on with my life."

"And guess what? That didn't work, did it?" She tilts her head to the side, wishing that for once, he could see her smirk. "The moment you bumped into me after a long time of absence, you start getting hysterical again."

"Can you please not remind me of that?" He sighs and places one of his hands onto his face to cover up his embarrassment, forgetting the fact that Eugene basically can't see his expressions at all.

"My bad. But we should really start researching or something because this really isn't normal." She hums. "But maybe it's best to do it after we submit our assignments this week."

"Alright cool, mid-sem break then," Felix replies. The fact that she gets to engage in a conversation with him normally now is really giving her hope—even if she dislikes them, Eugene internally thanked his classmates for causing a ruckus earlier to lead them both to where they are now.

"Oh also. Since we're now uh... acquaintances..." He sounds a bit awkward in it, but quickly chuckles afterward, "Can I play my games above 11 P.M.?"

"Excuse me?" 

-------

Author's Note: Hello everyone! After 9 chapters... THEY'RE FINALLY FRIENDS LMAO I hope it didn't take too long? TT This story really is a slow burn... holy shit I only realized it now actually--

But um ANYWAYS HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND! :3

- Howley.