Chapter 26

As the semester goes on, the two start getting busy with their duties. Eugene though, hasn't been making much progress since her teammates for the group project are basically the best procrastinators she has ever met in her whole life.

Just... how are they taking it so easy? She grumbles under her breath, looking at how chill her teammates talk to each other during group calls. They have indeed written their part of the report in the shared document—but Eugene doesn't find them good enough to be listed as a draft.

While they proceed to discuss irrelevant issues, Eugene mutes her mic and heads onto Google Docs to create a new document. She sighs as her fingers rest on her keyboard, muttering to herself. 

"Should I really do this...?"

Since her teammates weren't contributing much to the group work and barely cared about it, she thought that she should just secretly write the whole report herself and submit it individually from the group's report.

"And maybe I'll email the professor about this as well..." She heaves another sigh, knowing well that this is such a big decision and burden for her. But since the due date is coming 2 weeks, Eugene doesn't really have a choice. She has other individual assignments to do still, so she can't idly wait for her teammates to fix their parts in the group report.

Thinking about this whole thing instantly gives her a headache.

If only her mother isn't too strict and controlling about her grades and whatnot—maybe she doesn't have to put so much pressure on herself.

As her hands are just about to start typing, she feels her phone vibrate next to her. Sighing, she grabs the gadget to see who is calling her.

"Jake?!" Eugene stares at the screen in surprise. Without a second doubt, she instantly picks up the call, unconsciously smiling. "Hello...?"

"Eugene! Sorry, I haven't been able to contact you ever since the aquarium. I've been busy but I'm a bit free now." The boy replies from the other line, his tone sounding a little guilty. But she quickly brushes off his guilt with a small chuckle, "That's okay Jake, we all have our own things to do in life yeah?"

"I guess that makes sense... haha." He laughs from the other side, "Say, are you up for some brunch? I found this beautiful place near the suburbs, pretty close to my home. It's decorated with a Victorian garden theme near the sea!"

"Oh, that sounds pretty interesting." Eugene says, "Do you have a preferred time?"

"What about this weekend? ONLY if you're free!" He emphasises that last bit, "I don't want you sacrificing your time for me if you're flooded by assignments."

"Riiiight." Eugene laughs, feeling a little shy to see how considerate he is. "Now now, shouldn't you be saying that to yourself? What about your assignments?"

"I'm a different breed okay. Don't worry about me." He proudly replies, and the girl can already imagine a smug expression on his face when he speaks. "I'm very willing to sacrifice my time for you. My grades aren't my priority."

"..." It takes a moment for the girl to process what her ex-neighbor has just said. Sure, it's nothing romantic but what's with all these priorities and considerations?

I guess it's just Jake being Jake. He's always nice and considerate huh. She can't help but feel appreciated about the fact that he thinks about her position. Not a lot of people do that, especially towards their friends who aren't close enough to be considered a best friend yet.

"Eugene?"

"Ah—right." She finally snaps out of her thoughts, chuckling. "That's very nice of you, Jake. Then, let's go this Sunday."