Prologue

Evangeline Merlyn was born to Hades and a mortal named Mary Merlyn in New Orleans on January 4, 1930. She spent her whole life moving from place to place, she didn't understand why her mom kept moving so much. On October 24th, 1939 Zeus destroyed Evangeline's house thinking she was inside, and the result of this was Evangeline's mother being killed in the destruction of the house.

Two weeks after her mother's death Evangeline was living with her neighbor Mrs. Grayson, when Mrs. Grayson told her that they would be going to Las Vegas for a change of scenery.

They arrived at the Lotus Hotel and Casino, for Evangeline it had been a couple of days but in reality, it had been 63 years. But when Evangeline's scent started to grow attracting monsters. Mrs. Grayson soon "disappeared" and that left Evangeline to fend for herself.

Evangeline had left the hotel and had some of her inheritance with her so she used that to book a train ticket out of Vegas. She had no idea where she would go but as she was booking the ticket the lady waited for her to tell her where Evangeline was going.

She somehow managed to read a row on the screen that had Montauk, Long Island written on it, (which she was still getting used to) her gut told her to go there, and when she arrived the old lady at the bus stop ended up being a monster that chased after her until she arrived at the end of Long Island.

All Evangeline could do was run, running through some random woods was not a part of her plan. She didn't trust herself to believe that there was a monster from stories she had heard about chasing her. She was sure it was all a part of her imagination.

She didn't dare look back because looking back would make her slow and she did not want to stay and watch the monster try and eat her.

Evangeline wasn't sure how long she had been running but she felt relieved once she caught sight of an arch in the middle of the woods. Which was strange but she wasn't complaining.

After dodging a rock being thrown at her head, she sprinted straight through the arch and into the campsite. She stopped and turned around, she saw the monster banging on the entrance to the arch-like there was some sort of barrier keeping it from coming inside.

Evangeline wouldn't be surprised if people called her crazy, no one ever believed her when she told them she saw faint figures of the people who were dead. Or that one time she thought she saw a three-headed dog standing with a man with dark black hair in a pitch-black robe and skin as pale as a ghost.

She was breathing heavily, trying to catch her breath. Evangeline had yet to notice the children in bright orange t-shirts with CAMP HALF-BLOOD written on them.

"Which one are you?" She heard someone ask as she whipped her head to be met with a man with light stubble on his chin. Deep-set eyes in his narrow face, she had to do a double take once she saw his purple eyes. He had black hair curled around his face.

"What?" she panted.

"Which one are you? "

"I—I don't understand, where am I?"

"Oh, goody, another one." The man rubbed his forehead. "What's your name?"

"Evangeline Merlyn," she stated.

"Well, Evelyn Miller—"

"Evangeline Merlyn," She corrected.

"That's what I said, Evelyn Miller." The man rolled his eyes. "I'm supposed to say welcome to camp half-blood... blah blah, but we all know you don't want to hear that so let's skip that." The man started walking away and towards the buildings that were supposed to replicate ancient Greek Buildings.

"Camp?" She asked following after the man. "What is happening?"

"You're a demigod,"

"A what?"

"A demigod," He clarified. "half-human half-god, keep up, Elizabeth."

"Half god?" She asked, with a hint of panic in her voice.

"That's what I said,"

"That's not possible," Evangeline shook her head. "Gods aren't real,"

"I'm too old for this," The man grumbled. "You're a demigod, Evelyn. Deal with it. One of your parents is a god."

"God..." she paused. "Like Jesus?"

"No, one of the twelve Olympians." The man clarified.

"That can't be true, my mother is dead."

"And?" The man raised a brow.

"So if she's dead, how can she be a god?" The brunette pointed out.

"You do know you need two people for a child to be born, yes?"

"I know that, but I don't know who my father is," Evangeline explained.

"Half of these brats here don't know who their father is,"

Evangeline shot the man a look. "That can't be right. How can I be related to a god?"

"Save the questions for Annabell," The man waved his hand lazily.

The brunette sighed as she realized the man was of no help. They arrived at one of the Ancient Greek buildings. It was a gray building with an owl carved over the doorway.

When they came inside, the interior of the building looked like a workshop with a library. It had bunk beds pushed up against the wall, designed "as if sleeping didn't matter very much." The library was filled with thousands of books, old scrolls, and tables and chairs.

A girl with stormy grey eyes, and blonde hair came up to the man. "Annabell, this is... what was your name again?"

"Evangeline," The brunette gritted her teeth.

"Whatever," the man waved his hand. "Annabell will show you around,"

The girl whom Evangeline concluded as Annabell was staring at her as if she was analyzing every detail about her, from top to bottom. The girl looked intimidating and athletic, her stormy gray eyes were determined.

"Well, have fun or— don't, I don't care." The man walked out of the building.

"Can somebody tell me what's going on?" Evangeline asked as watched the man walk out the threshold.

"Right, sorry," the blonde girl snapped out of her thoughts. "I'm Annabeth, daughter of Athena."

Evangeline blinked as she nodded. "Athena? Goddess of Wisdom?"

Annabeth nodded. "Great, so everybody here is on drugs." Evangeline threw her hands in the air.

The blonde shot her a look. "We are not on drugs, Mr. D told me he explained the basics to you, so..."

"Mr. D?" Evangeline arched a brow.

"Short for Dionysus," Annabeth explained.

"The wine guy from Greek Mythology?"

"Don't say that, he's a god."

"You expect me to believe that," Evangeline hissed.

Annabeth sighed as she shot her a look. Her gaze landed on the cut on her arm. "Why don't we go to the infirmary? And get that checked out while I explain everything on the way there," The blonde grabbed her arm and dragged her out of the building.