Grover becomes a menace to society

The distance was shorter in the Labyrinth. Still, by the time Rachel got them back to Times Square, Evangeline felt, like she'd pretty much run all the way from New Mexico. They climbed out of the Marriott basement and stood on the sidewalk in the bright summer daylight, squinting at the traffic and crowds. The daughter of Hades couldn't decide which seemed less real—New York or the crystal cave where Pan died.

Percy led them into an alley, where their footsteps echoed. Percy whistled five very loud times, the sound echoing.

A minute later, Rachel gasped. "They're beautiful!"

A flock of pegasi descended from the sky, swooping between the skyscrapers. Blackjack was in the lead, followed by five of his comrades.

Blackjack neighed to Percy and the boy nodded. Percy started talking to the horses as one does.

"Yeah," he responded. "I'm lucky that way. Listen, we need a ride to camp, quick."

Percy managed to convince one of the pegasuses to give Tyson a ride. Everybody started getting ready to fly back to Camp Half-Blood—except Rachel.

"Well," Rachel said. "I guess this is it." The redhead was talking to Percy.

"Thanks, Rachel," Percy said. "We couldn't have done it without you."

"I wouldn't have missed it. I mean, except for almost dying, and Pan..." Her voice faltered.

"He said something about your father," Percy remembered. "What did he mean?"

Rachel twisted the strap on her backpack. "My dad...My dad's job. He's kind of a famous businessman."

"You mean you're rich?"

"Well, yeah."

"So that's how you got the chauffeur to help us? You just said your dad's name and—"

"Yes," Rachel cut him off. "Percy... my dad's a land developed. He flies all over the world, looking for tracts of undeveloped land." She took a shaky breath. "The wild. He—he buys it up. I hate it, but he plows it down and builds ugly subdivisions and shopping centers. And now that I've seen Pan...Pan's death—"

"Don't blame yourself for that," Percy said.

"You don't know the worst of it. I—I don't like to talk about my family. I didn't want you guys to know. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything."

"All things must come to an end," Evangeline spoke up. "You can't run from death, besides, you saved our lives so I guess we all owe you."

Rachel let her words sink in, "Your mom," she said. "she died right?"

"How do you know that?"

"Percy told me,"

Evangeline shot him a look. It was the same look she used to give him when she wanted him dead and Percy swore he saw his life flash before his eyes. He was hundred percent sure she was going to kick his ass when they get back to camp.

"You never thought of bringing her back?" Rachel asked.

"It's against the laws of nature," Evangeline said, "and like my father always says 'what dies should always stay dead' ."

Rachel blinked, and she shifted on her feet. "You're dad sounds like a tough guy to be around."

The brunette tried her best not to snap at the Dare girl. "Just because he's the god of the dead doesn't automatically make him cold and heartless,"

"Agree to disagree," Percy muttered, earning a smack on his arm. "Ow!" He yelped, rubbing the place where she smacked him.

Rachel started to smile. "Well, if you ever feel like hanging out with a mortal again... you could call me or something."