The weight of the sky on her shoulders

The grass shimmered with the silvery light of the moon, and flowers of every color glowed brightly against the night. Stepping stones led around the enormous tree in the middle of the garden, branches glittered with golden apples that seemed to glow.

"The apples of immortality," Thalia mumbled. "Hera's wedding gift from Zeus."

Evangeline saw the dragon curled around the tree. The dragon had more heads than she could count, it appeared to be sleeping. The shadows near the dragon began moving, as eerie singing reached her ears.

Zoë held a hand out to them, taking a step forward as she stood in front. Four young women came into view, each resembling the hunter of Artemis who stood to meet them. The Hesperides, Evangeline noted. 

"Sisters," Zoë greeted.

"We do not say any sister," one of them spoke harshly. "We see three half-bloods and a hunter, all of whom shall soon die."

"You've got it wrong," Percy stepped forward. "Nobody is going to die."

"Perseus Jackson," another girl spoke. 

"I do not see why he is a threat." Mused another. 

"Who said I was a threat?" He asked.

The first Hesperide motioned towards the mountain. "They fear thee," she explained. "They do not like the spawn of Hades walking their grounds. They are unhappy she has not killed thee," she pointed a finger at the daughter of Zeus.

"Tempting sometimes," Thalia admitted. "But, no thanks, Percy's my friend, and Evangeline is like sort of tolerable sometimes."

"There are no friends here, daughter of Zeus." The first sister said. "Only enemies, go back."

"Not without Annabeth," Thalia declared.

"We are here for Artemis," Zoë explained. "We must approach the mountain."

"You know he will kill thee." The girl said. "You are no match for him."

"Artemis must be freed," She insisted. "Let us pass."

"You have no rights here anymore," the second girl shook her head. "We have only to raise our voices and Ladon will wake."

"He will not hurt me," Zoë said.

"No? And what about thy so-called friends?"

"Ladon!" Evangeline flinched when the huntress shouted. "Wake!"

Ladon stirred, and the sisters began yelping and scattering. "Are you mad?"

"You never had any courage, sister," She stated. "That is thy problem."

The dragon's hundred heads whipped around, its tongue flickering and tasting the air as Zoë began walking towards it with her arms raised.

"Zoë, don't," Thalia said. "You're not a Hespride anymore, he'll kill you."

"Ladon is trained to protect the tree," She explained. "Skirt around the edges of the garden, up the mountain. As long as I am a bigger threat, he should ignore thee."

"That's supposed to make us feel better?" Evangeline asked.

"It is the only way," Zoë said. "Even the four of us together cannot fight him."

Thalia made her way to the left side of the mountain, as Evangeline and Percy went to the right. The huntress walked straight toward the monster. 

Zoë was able to evade all the dragon's snaps, but one barely glazed her side as Zoë quickly joined the demigods.