Into the thick of it

The camp store loaned them one hundred dollars in mortal money and twenty golden drachmas. The drachmas were coins that were as big as Girl Scout cookies and had images of various Greek gods stamped on one side and the Empire State Building on the other. The ancient mortal drachmas had been silver, Chiron told them, but the Olympians never used anything less than pure gold. The coins would be useful in non-mortal transactions.

Then, he gave each of the half-bloods a flask of nectar and an airtight bag full of ambrosia squares, to be used only in emergencies, if they were seriously hurt. Ambrosia could heal almost any injury, but it was lethal to mortals. If you took too much of it, you would become extremely feverish. After an overdose of ambrosia, demigods would burn from the inside out.

Evangeline was bringing a book to read, a dagger that she kept sheathed in her boot, and a hunting knife tucked in the back of jeans, covered by her black leather jacket, and earplugs for Grover's singing.

Annabeth was bringing her magical Yankees cap, which was a twelfth-birthday present from Athena. She carried a classical architecture book in her arms, written in Ancient Greek, to read when she got bored, and her Celestial bronze knife was hidden in the shirt sleeve of her Camp shirt.

Grover wore his fake feet and his trousers to pass as human. He wore a Greek rasta-style cap, because when it rained his curly hair flattened and they could see just the tops of his horns.

His bright orange backpack was full of scrap metal and apples to snack on. In his pocket was a set of reed pipes his daddy goat had carved for him. The satyr only knew two songs all the way through; Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 12 and something called Hilary Duff's 'So Yesterday',  however, both of those sounded really bad.

Percy seemed to be traveling the lightest not that she could blame him, he didn't have many things to carry. He had simply packed clothes, a toothbrush, and very few other small items. Evangeline was surprised by how many useless items the son of Poseidon had packed.

Chiron was waiting for them in his wheelchair. Next to him stood Argus, head of Camp Half-Blood's security. Today, he was wearing a chauffeur's uniform, so Evangeline could only see extra eyes on Argus's hands, face, and neck.

"This is Argus," Chiron told Percy. "He will drive you into the city, and, er, well, keep an eye on things."

Evangeline heard footsteps behind them. Luke came running up the hill, carrying a pair of basketball shoes.

"Hey!" he panted. "Glad I caught you."

Annabeth blushed.

"Just wanted to say good luck," Luke said to Percy. "And I thought ... um, maybe you could use these."

He handed the sneakers to Percy, which just looked like an ordinary pair of shoes

Luke said, "Maia!"

White bird's wings sprouted out of the heels, startling Percy so much, he dropped them. The shoes flapped around on the ground until the wings folded up and disappeared.

"Awesome!" Grover said.

Luke smiled. "Those served me well when I was on my quest. Gift from Dad. Of course, I don't use them much these days ..." His expression turned almost bleak.

Percy looked startled at the kind gesture, so much so that the tips of his ears turned red.

"Hey, man," said Percy. "Thanks."

"Listen, Percy ..." Luke looked uncomfortable. "A lot of hopes are riding on you. So just ... mess up some monsters for me, okay?"

The two boys shook hands. Luke patted Grover's head between his horns. Luke gave Evangeline a tight hug and told her to be safe. He gave Annabeth a goodbye hug, she almost looked like she could pass out.