Emo brothers and dead sisters

They did the summoning after dark, at a twenty-foot-long pit in front of the septic tank. The moon was full. Silver clouds drifted across the sky.

"Minos should be here by now," Nico said, frowning. "It's full dark."

"Maybe he got lost," Percy said, hopefully.

Evangeline shot him a look as Nico poured root beer and tossed barbecue into the pit, and Evangeline began chanting in Ancient Greek. Immediately the bugs in the woods stopped chirping.

The night air felt cold and menacing. Sulfurous mist seeped out of the ground. Shadows thickened into human forms. One blue shade drifted to the edge of the pit and knelt to drink.

"Stop him!" Nico said. "Only Bianca may drink!"

Percy drew Riptide. The ghosts retreated with a collective hiss at the sight of the celestial bronze blade. But it was too late to stop the first spirit. He had already solidified into the shape of a bearded man in white robes. A circlet of gold wreathed in his head, and even in death his eyes were alive with malice.

"Minos!" Nico said. "What are you doing?"

"My apologies, master," The ghost said, though he didn't sound very sorry. "The sacrifice smelled so good, I couldn't resist." He examined his hands and smiled. "It is good to see myself again. Almost in solid form—"

"You are disrupting the ritual!" Nico protested. "Get—"

The spirits of the dead began shimmering dangerously bright, and Nico had to join the chant again to keep them at bay.

"Yes, quite right, master," Minos said with amusement. "You have been chanting. I've only come to protect you from these liars who would deceive you."

He turned to Percy as if he were some kind of cockroach. "Percy Jackson... my, my. The sons of Poseidon haven't improved over the centuries have they?"

"We're looking for Bianca di Angelo," Percy said. "Get lost."

The ghost chuckled. "I understand you once killed my Minotaur with your bare hands. But worse things await you in the maze. Do you really believe Daedalus will help you?"

The other spirits stirred in agitation. Annabeth drew her knife and helped Percy keep them away from the pit. Grover got so nervous he clung to Tyson's shoulder.

"Daedalus cares nothing for you, half-bloods," Minos warned. "You can't trust him. He is old beyond counting, and crafty. He is bitter from the guilt of murder and is cursed by the gods."

"The guilt of murder?" Percy asked. "Who did he kill?"

"Do not change the subject!" The ghost growled. "You are hindering Nico. You try to persuade him to give up on his goal. I would make him a lord!"

"Enough, Minos," Nico commanded.

The ghost sneered. "Master, these are your enemies. She is your enemy!" He pointed at the brunette. "You must not listen to them! Let me protect you. I will turn their minds to madness as I did the others."

"The others?" Annabeth gasped. "You mean Chris Rodriguez? That was you?"

"The maze is my property," He said, "not Daedalus's! Those who intrude deserve madness."

"Be gone, Minos!" Nico demanded. "I want to see my sister!"

The ghost bit back his rage. "As you wish, master. But I warn you. You cannot trust these heroes." With that, he faded into a mist.

"Bianca, appear!" Nico intoned. As they kept chanting faster, and the spirits shifted restlessly.

"Any time now," Grover muttered.