Life or death? You decide

Evangeline felt like the world was closing in on her, and the buzzing in her ear had started when the helicopter landed not far from them, the blonde immediately rushed to her father's side while Thalia helped Artemis unload Zoë.

"Evangeline, Percy, Annabeth," she called, kneeling beside the hunter as three demigods joined their side. The buzzing in Evangeline's had turned to ringing, and Zoë was shivering, her usual silver glow fading slowly.

"Can't you heal her with magic?" Percy quietly asked, breaking the silence. "I mean... you're a goddess."

"Life is a fragile thing, Percy." She gave the son of Poseidon a frown. "If the fates will the string to be cut, there is little I can do. But I can try." She went to set her hand against the wound, but Zoë quickly grabbed her wrist as they met gazes. A mutual understanding seemed to pass between the hunter and the huntress as Zoë let go.

"Have I... served thee well?" Zoë whispered.

"With great honor," Artemis said softly. "The finest of my attendants."

The dying hunter's face relaxed. "Rest, at last."

"I can try to heal the poison, my brave one."

But the girl shook her head and instead looked at Thalia. "I am sorry we argued," she apologized. "We could have been sisters."

"It's my fault," Thalia roughly blinked her eyes. "You were right about Luke, about heroes, men-everything,"

"Perhaps not all men," Zoë murmured, a soft smile curling on her lips that she directed at Percy. "Do you still have the sword, Percy?"

The boy took out Riptide, carefully placing it within her palm as she grasped it. "You spoke the truth, Percy Jackson. You are nothing like...like Hercules. I am honored that you carry this sword."

A shudder ran through the hunter's body as her attention landed on the brunette next. "Evangeline Merlyn..." Zoë called, earning the brunette's attention. "You are more kinder than I had expected, I wish we could have had more time to get to know each other better."

Evangeline managed to give the hunter a small nod and smile. Zoë's attention immediately went upwards as a smile curled onto her pale lips.

"Stars," she whispered. "I can see the stars again, my lady."

A single tear fell down Artemis's cheek, the goddess attempting to stop more from falling. "Yes, my brave one. They are beautiful tonight."

"Stars," Zoë repeated, her eyes locked on the night sky as those were the last words she would ever say again.

Thalia lowered her head in respect, Annabeth buried her head within her father's shoulder as Percy shot Evangeline a look. But she held no expression, she stared at the girl's dead body as the ringing stopped.

Artemis cupped her hand above Zoë's mouth, speaking a prayer in Ancient Greek. When she finished, silvery smoke erupted from Zoë's lips that was caught within the goddess's hand. With that, the hunter's body shimmered before disappearing.

The huntress stood, a blessing slipping from her lips as she released the silver dust to the sky. For a moment, nothing happened until Annabeth's gasps broke the silence.

In the sky above, Evangeline was able to see a young girl holding a bow, making her way across the midnight sky with a carefree smile.

"Let the world honor you, my Huntress," Artemis said. "Live forever in the stars."

A moment of silence echoed over the group, their undivided attention on the sky above.

"I must go to Olympus immediately," the goddess explained. "I will not be able to take you, but I will send help."