Chapter 2

When Ga On got home that evening, he was still processing the conversation he had with lawyer Ko, specifically that last bit when they were talking about Elijah.

She asked me to tell you she'll be in the country.

Why would she want Ga On to know she'd be in Korea? More importantly, why the hell would she want to see him after everything that has happened? What if she just wanted to see Ga On to tell him how much she loathed him, how angry she was at him for being an idiot? Maybe she wanted to put all the blame on him. Or maybe she just wanted to see if he was as broken as she must have been. Maybe Elijah wanted to see how all of it affected him, his life, his personality, if he even cared enough about what he had done to Yo Han.

Whatever the reason, Ga On didn't really care at the moment. Elijah wanted to see him and that was all that mattered. He didn't care if she'd meet him just to tell him how much she hates him, or if she really missed him. He just wanted to see her. He was so happy to hear that Elijah asked for him that he almost wanted to cry. And what really mattered to him right now was that he'd finally get to see her, face to face, and see for himself if she was okay.

It seemed like he's been in his head for quite a while, because he suddenly heard the door to the apartment opening and Jin Joo entering with a big smile on her face. "You're back. Good, I'm hungry," she said as soon as she took off her shoes and sprinted towards him to sit on the couch next to him.

"Oh Jin Joo," Ga On said with an exasperated sigh and looked at his friend. Jin Joo was basically the only person he had in his life right now and he was really grateful for her. And since she didn't have anyone in her life as well, that only meant that she was super attached to Ga On. He didn't mind though, it was almost like having a twin sister. He's always been charmed by Jin Joo's personality and very thankful that she was a really smart girl that could talk him out of doing stupid things. And since Soo Hyun was gone, he was really happy to have someone else who cared about him in his life.

He wouldn't exactly say that Jin Joo replaced Soo Hyun, because she was irreplaceable, but she has definitely filled the void after Soo Hyun's passing, which was nice and very needed.

"What did I do now?" Jin Joo looked at him with wide, worried eyes, hearing how Ga On spoke to her with a warming tone and her full name.

"I saw lawyer Ko today. Why didn't you tell me that he was the one who hired you?" Ga On asked. He may have been a little angry at first, that she didn't mention anything about it, but he knew Jin Joo. She wouldn't have accepted the job if she didn't think it was worthy of her. The pay must have been quite encouraging too, since they were able to actually afford an apartment in the middle of Seoul.

"I didn't want to bring back any memories," she shrugged.

Right, because talking about lawyer Ko would lead to the supreme court and that meant talking about Yo Han and she knew how much he hated that. Jin Joo knew better than anyone how hard it's been for him, mourning both Soo Hyun and Yo Han. Losing one friend was already bad enough, but when he heard about Yo Han's passing, that completely broke him.

"And he knew you wouldn't want to come back if the offer came from him," Jin Joo added after a moment, looking a little guilty.

Of course he wouldn't have been here if he had known. After everything that happened, Ga On knew those people didn't trust him, and that meant he couldn't really trust them either. Hell, he started wondering if lawyer Ko may have his own agenda to take revenge on him. And maybe he wouldn't even do it by himself, maybe that's why Elijah wanted to see him.

"Why did he hire you in his law firm anyway?" Ga On asked curiously. Jin Joo was a judge after all, she didn't have that much experience in being a lawyer.