Narrowing the Field: Sudden Death Elimination!

What are they planning? "Uh, we have to have a preliminary exam before we can move onto the real one." Huh?! Is he out of his damn mind?! Why that little- I was about to charge him when Sasuke tightened his grip on my hand warningly.

Grr. This day absolutely sucks. Shikamaru yelled at the dude before Sakura questioned him more. I sighed. "What he means is that there are far too many candidates then there should be. So they're going to hold another test to eliminate half of us." I said.

Sakura, Naruto, and a few others looked at me in surprise and I rubbed my head and sighed. "Man gramps, you're a kill joy." I muttered.

He smiled but did nothing as Hayato continued. "So if any of you are not in top physical condition, now's your chance to-" he started coughing madly. I sweat dropped. Dude needs to see a doctor about that cough.

Once he stopped he continued. "Sorry about that. Anyway, any of you who don't feel up to this, now's the time for you to bow out. The preliminaries will be starting immediately." My eye twitched. So they do only want the best of the best. Having us worn from the forest, everyone's exhausted.

Kiba, Ino, and Shikamaru started complaining. Man, adults are so uncool.

"The winners will be determined with one on one combat sudden death. So like I said, if there's anyone who doesn't feel up to it now's the time to raise your hand."

What kind of idiot would quit? That's so stupid. Sasuke gripped my hand tighter and I turned to see his other hand grip where his mark is. Oh Sasuke. Gingerly, I brought my other hand to my neck. It isn't hurting right now, but with my luck it will during the exam.

I had let my long hair down so it covered the mark on my neck. I don't want anyone seeing it. But Sasuke . . . his collar was covering the mark. But his is acting up right now.

Things aren't looking so good for us. "Sasuke, listen to me, you got to quit." I looked at Sakura in surprise. Although, she's right. Sasuke shouldn't compete. But I know Sasuke more than she does. There's no way he's not going to compete.

So I looked forward, not wanting to be a part of it. "You and Miyu have been like this since you tangled with Orochimaru, and it's getting worse." Sasuke and I looked away from Sakura and Naruto. "It's the mark he put on you two isn't it?" she questioned.

I sighed. "Sakura, I'm not quitting. So drop it." I said. She looked at me sadly then to Sasuke. She held her chest and begged him not to do it. Then she begged me. She was even crying a little. I felt bad for her, but I don't need her to worry about me.

"Please. Please Sasuke, Miyu. Quit now before . . . I don't know what. I'm scared." I let go of Sasuke's hand and turned to Sakura before pulling her into a hug, surprising her and my team.

Her head was in the crook of my neck and I smoothed out her hair. "It's okay Sakura. We're fine. If needed, I'll drag Sasuke out if he's in trouble. And I'm smart enough to know when I can't continue. So trust me. I won't let anything happen to any of you. I'll always protect you guys." I whispered as I continued to stroke her hair.

She then gripped my shirt and sobbed quietly. I could feel her nod in agreement. I pulled away and smiled at her before ruffling her hair. "Don't worry; it takes a lot to take us down." I grinned at her.

She smiled and nodded. So I returned to my spot and faced forward. I took a glance at Sasuke and we smiled at each other before looking forward.

I happened to heighten my senses to hear Anko, Ibiki, Gramps, and Kakashi talk about the curse mark on Sasuke, then me. Oh so they already know? Punks.

I ignored them and focused on the reason I heightened it. Orochimaru. "Oh so you already figured out whom I am? No wonder. You look like your mother and have her temper, but your father shines out more than her in you." He whispered to himself, and me.