Chapter 17

"Osamu!" Chuuya slammed the agency door open expecting to find Dazai and Atsushi inside with their blond co-worker Kuni-something.

All he was greeted with was a disturbed Nakajima with the doctor and Kyoka trying to comfort him.

"Where is he? Where is Osamu?" He had an unsettling smile on his face, he looked to be on the edge. "He's not here Nakahara." Spoke the man which Chuuya had earlier heard on the phone call. "When you ended the call I stayed on with Atsushi. He said Dazai was shot and told him to leave him behind. We went back to try to find him but all that was left was a blood stain and a letter." He handed the letter to Chuuya, it was addressed to him.

To Chuuya Nakahara,

I hope this finds you well. To hell with the formalities, I believe you have something that belongs to us. We have something that belongs to you. I believe we can come to a formal agreement, bring Atsushi Nakajima to *** Warehouse at 12:00 sharp. One individual may accompany him, if it is more. We will kill him. If you don't turn up, we will kill him. If we are ambushed, we will kill him. Inform anyone except the key recipients and we will kill him. I hope you will come to the correct decision. Your ex-family,

The Sheep

All colour had drained from Chuuya's face, people began to repeat his name but to no avail. That was until Atsushi walked up to the executive and placed his hand on his shoulder.

"It's okay, I think I know what that letter says." Chuuya looked at the young male, he knew Dazai had given himself up to ensure Nakajima would be safe. To hand him over in exchange for him would be an insult to Dazai.

"I know I shouldn't, but we don't exactly have a choice do we?" Atsushi shook his head at Chuuya's question. "We both know Dazai is a lot more useful than me." Chuuya chuckled lightly. "That mackerel? He's as useful as a flopping fish." He laughed lightly at his own joke before his smile quickly diminished.

"Blondie, what time is it?" Kunikida was not impressed by the nickname but let it slide due to the circumstances. "It's almost 9." He relayed after checking his wristwatch.

"You've got 2 hours before we leave, use your time wisely. I think there's someone who wants to speak with you." Chuuya left the main office of the agency and disappeared elsewhere, Akutagawa assumed the roof as that's where he spent a large amount of his breaks when at the Mafia. That left Akutagawa in a room filled with agency members who weren't too fond of him.

"I know you can't tell me what's going to happen, but promise me you'll come back safe." Kyoka begged Atsushi, they were in the storage cupboard of the agency for some privacy. The agency members knew the pair of them saw each other as siblings so gave them the time they needed.

But Akutagawa did not.

He had to speak with him soon, he knew time was running out and he wouldn't get another chance to speak with him.

"I can't promise anything, but I'll do my best." Atsushi smiled, Kyoka threw her arms around his torso in a tight hug. She was reluctant to let go until the door opened, she saw Akutagawa cast a shadow onto them and knew she wasn't welcome in the forthcoming conversation.

"I'll leave you two to talk." She rose to her feet and left while passing Akutagawa. She attempted to give him a stern glare but already had tears shimmering at the corner of her eyes. He shut the door behind him leaving Atsushi and himself alone.

"Come here to kill me? This is your final chance." Atsushi attempted to crack a joke but it was futile. Akutagawa didn't speak a single word, only slowly making his way to the younger male.

"Silent treatment eh? Guess you and your sister have finally claimed the silent siblings title." Akutagawa still didn't speak despite Atsushi's multiple attempts to break the silence.

"For god sake Akutagawa say somethi-" Atsushi was silenced. Not by any means he had expected from the mad dog of the mafia. But a soft and chaste kiss.

"Despite my prior claims, I do not intend to kill you. I never have," Akutagawa had left him entirely speechless, not a single thought was crossing through his mind apart from the feeling of his lips on his own, "I want you to know that, even before you became Dazai's subordinate. I had met you. And despite you stating you never stole anything the day you met Dazai you did steal something. Something I thought would never breathe again. My heart. I hope you can forgive me for my selfishness. It's just in the last few days in me watching you and guarding you and caring for you. I made a realisation that I should have made a while ago. I'll leave you to your co-workers, you won't have to see me again." Akutagawa turned to leave in the direction he'd just come, but was stopped.

Atsushi had grabbed his wrist.