Chapter 35

It's been slightly less than a month since Atsushi arrived at the detective agency. He had finally realised a week prior that his memories were incomplete, a lot of the agency members were shocked at how long it took him. But then it was Atsushi.

Atsushi had built up a kind of friendship between Kyoka and Akutagawa during this time. Even though there were moments between the two males where Atsushi feared Akutagawa. Or Akutagawa realised this wasn't his Atsushi. The pair still got along fine.

Chuuya and Dazai had attempted to try the reversal method on Atsushi once, however that resulted in Atsushi coughing up blood and passing out. He'd been unconscious for a number of days after that. They then realised that purely removing the blood wouldn't cure Atsushi, he had to want to regain his memories. And from what they could tell he didn't want to.

The main issue was, they were running out of time. Atsushi had requested a month off from his boss, but when that time was up he'd have to return to them.

"Are you gonna get up and make me breakfast?" Atsushi questioned leaning over the half asleep Akutagawa.

"Make it yourself Jinko." He complained rolling over and falling back asleep. He'd not called him that in years, but the man was disturbing his sleep. He wouldn't have that.

Atsushi seemed to freeze, no sound or movement came from him. Akutagawa rolled back slightly to see the man frozen.

"Hey, are yo-" Before Akutagawa could finish his words, Atsushi had launched himself at the man. Straddled on top of him holding his shirt between his fist.

"Don't call me that! Don't you EVER call me that!" Akutagawa was shocked, the man had never reacted to the nickname that way in the past. So why now?

"What's wrong with it?"

"It just..." Atsushi released Akutagawa's shirt and began to pull at his hair.

"No... Please... Not now!" He began to pull more and more at his hair. Akutagawa was worried he would pull all his hair out at this rate.

"Atsushi I..." He began to extend his hand and cupped the man's cheek. The moment he touched Atsushi's face he seemed to relax slightly as if the contact soothed the pain in a way.

Before Akutagawa could do anything else Atsushi laid himself down on the man's chest, as if trying to cuddle closer with him.

"Please... Don't stop..." He whispered, his eyes scrunched closed. He was in agonising pain. Akutagawa slowly moved his hand to the back of the man's hand and began to stroke his hair.

"Don't worry I won't."

The next half hour the pair hardly moved. Atsushi's constant trembling from the pain he was in and Akutagawa attempting to comfort him. When the pain finally subsided Atsushi sat himself up and looked into Akutagawa's eyes.

'What just happened?' He'd thought to himself. Why had he helped him? This was a prime opportunity for Akutagawa to kill him. So why? Why didn't he? Was it because he pitied him? Was it because he wanted to kill him in a fair fight? All these questions began to repeat over and over in his mind.

But they were all silenced.

By one act. By one movement. Akutagawa cupped his cheek softly, quickly pulled himself up to lock his lips against Atsushi's.

As soon as they both parted, Atsushi landed a clean crisp slap to the man's face.

"You asshole! Why would you do that!" He quickly left the room and made his way to the agency. Breakfast plans had gone out the window.

"So do you need me to heal you?" Yosano questioned Akutagawa as he sat at his desk typing away.

"No. I'm perfectly fine, I'm still taking the medication as you said."

"Uh huh." She questioned still peering at him. "So please do tell why the left side of your face has a massive red mark?" She wasn't going to leave this matter unanswered.

"I did something to Atsushi. He slapped me in response. End of story." Yosano raised an eyebrow at that. She was even more intrigued.

"And what exactly did you do? Threaten to kill him? Forced him to eat something you cooked? Kissed him?"

"Uh huh." Akutagawa nodded and gave a curt response. He made it sound like he'd done nothing. Yosano was left speechless.

"What! You're kidding right?" She didn't believe him for a second. Akutagwa shook his head and continued his typing.

"But you used to try and kill him?" She answered exasperated, her constant shouting was starting to annoy Kunikida at this point.

"Yosano what is wrong?" He questioned closing his laptop he was working on.

"He kissed Atsushi!" She exclaimed, Kunikida shrugged his shoulders.

"And?" Chuuya had already explained this whole situation to him three years ago. So this was not a surprise.

"How are you not shocked!?"

"I have my sources. Now go find out if the boy is alright. As by the state he's in, I doubt he took it well." Yosano nodded and disappeared into the infirmary. That was Atsushi's hiding place in the agency.

When she walked in she found him curled up in a ball in the corner. He looked so small, so pitiful. Yosano couldn't help but pity him.

"I know you're pitying me. Stop it." Atsushi complained, his head not even rising from his knees.

"Guess you're not taking his affection very well, huh?" Yosano leant against the door frame crossing her arms. Atsushi said nothing but pulled his knees closer. Yosano sighed in knowing he wouldn't speak.

She walked across the room till she stood before her desk. She briefly glanced over it until she saw a pendant. She swiftly picked it up and attempted to wear it around her neck. But failed.

"Atsushi, could you be a dear and help me?" Atsushi rolled his head slightly to see Yosano with the chain around her neck. He hid his face behind his knees once more, refusing to help.

"A bit rude aren't we Atsushi?" The man didn't acknowledge her snide remark. Yosano sighed, she really didn't appreciate Atsushi's new attitude towards her.

"Kyoka, can you come help me!" She yelled, quickly summoning her from wherever she was.

Atsushi was pretty sure she had been hiding in the break room eating some sweets given to her by Ranpo. They were a new American kind, Ranpo had probably been gifted them by someone.

"Help me with this would you?" Yosano lifted the necklace into the light allowing for it to twinkle slightly. It was two small parts of a hydrangea trapped within glass, one was a beautiful scarlet colour combined with a darling blue. It reminded Kyoka of her old kimono and her eyes. Someone had compared her eyes to this colour before.

When Yosano put the pendant in her hand it gave her a chance to look closer. When she turned it over she found two letters engraved in the back.

O . K

Yosano smirked as the look of realisation dawned on Kyoka's face.

"She gave it to me as a gift. I've worn it dozens of times in the agency, I'm surprised you didn't notice sooner." Kyoka shook her head to dissuade herself of her initial shock and helped attach the pendant around Yosano's neck.

"My question is how? She hates the idea of hope and love. So how?" Yosano smirked at her question then lightly patted her on the head. Turning to leave but just as she was about to leave the room she spoke.

"It's in the eyes. It's always in the eyes." She pointed to her left eye as she spoke before disappearing. Kyoka was confused by her last statement, but Atsushi understood completely.